Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simple Goodman GMH95 changeout.

Nothing too special here, just another Goodman installed per Manual J requirements.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Nothing too special here, just another Goodman installed per Manual J requirements.
    The thing that jumps out at me has less to do with your work than it does with the location...

What the hell were they thinking?

aren't you supposed to have a concrete barrier?

Do you have many that look like that, meaning in the garage?

I hope you sealed the crap outta the ducts.

It looks like it was a PITA with the venting & lineset.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

We used one of those goodmans in a rental last week. Used a filter grill instead of the typical 5" media filters. I was wondering what it would be like running vent lines out the top to clear the filter.

Get some duct liner and some glue. Cleans things up alot having the insulation on the inside!

interesting gas line securing bracket. I would like to see a description or close up photo to get a better look.

Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    The thing that jumps out at me has less to do with your work than it does with the location...

Totally agree.
    In our region I believe the entire ductwork and furnace would have been enclosed and fire rated. At minimum all duct joints should be sealed.

Is duct insulation wrap required where you are? If so how come the existing return air is left not insulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Servicepro View Post
    Totally agree.
    In our region I believe the entire ductwork and furnace would have been enclosed and fire rated. At minimum all duct joints should be sealed.

Is duct insulation wrap required where you are? If so how come the existing return air is left not insulated?

The existing stuff was lined on the inside. All that existing return air ducting is getting redone in a few months during the process of a full garage remodel. At this time the return air ducting will be reconfigured and the furnace will be enclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    We used one of those goodmans in a rental last week. Used a filter grill instead of the typical 5" media filters. I was wondering what it would be like running vent lines out the top to clear the filter.

Get some duct liner and some glue. Cleans things up alot having the insulation on the inside!

I don't like duct liner on the inside of ducts, something bothers me about fibers on the inside. Call me weird.

Ya, sure can be a pain in the a** to get those pipes to clear sometimes but if you got the height you can normally do it without too much problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JKopp View Post
    interesting gas line securing bracket. I would like to see a description or close up photo to get a better look.

Just a little bracket I made out of some drive cleat, nothing special.

A lot of furnaces are like this in garages. I do wonder what they were thinking but with the existing supply poured in the garage slab not much chance of talking them into moving it.

We always seal any ducts we can get to. Believe it or not, the existing ducts had already been sealed pretty good with silicone.

The venting wasn't too bad, as I stated above. And there is no lineset. What you are looking at is the drain/insulated, and the vinyl tubing insulated and routed into the washer drain.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    A lot of furnaces are like this in garages. I do wonder what they were thinking but with the existing supply poured in the garage slab not much chance of talking them into moving it.

I totally get that.

We always seal any ducts we can get to. Believe it or not, the existing ducts had already been sealed pretty good with silicone.

The venting wasn't too bad, as I stated above. And there is no lineset. What you are looking at is the drain/insulated, and the vinyl tubing insulated and routed into the washer drain.

Funny, I realized that you insulated the line going into the condensate pump, but somehow I "imagined" that you had a lineset even though there is clearly no coil. LOL.

I still maintain there should be a barrier to protect gas equipment and lines.

It's just a example of the crap we get sucked into when systems aren't put in right in the first place.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

I still maintain there should be a barrier to protect gas equipment and lines.

It's just a example of the crap we get sucked into when systems aren't put in right in the first place.

Agreed, I should've shown you before pics. It was all I could do to get the gas lines out of the way. Before, they would slam their car doors into the gas valves...ugh.

Garage

Interesting that would not fly in my neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post

External insulation is better because:
    A. It covers up my sins
    B. People like the look of astro foil, they think it's super special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast