Thread: texas b test

has any one used the pals hvac book to help passing a texas b test.

yea , there is a guy named Norm , I think that mite know about that book , you could ask him, but from what I understand , after reading that book you will be able to pass that and many other tests. That book is the only one you will ever need

if you want to pass the test the first time take Costruction Data's 2 day seminar. I don't know what it costs now but it is worth every penny. follow their instructiond to the letter including taking the test as absolutely soon as possible after the class, they recommend the next day.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Norms book will do nothing for you in regards to the Texas test. It is a good book and helpful for NATE but not Texas license test.

I recommend contacting ACCA and looking in to their seminar, works very well teaches you how to take the test. The main thing you need to pass the test is how to look up things in books. Test is open book and speed in looking up answers is key.

Reference material changes August 1. A friend of mine trusted in ACCA and they sold him out of date material for $800. Be careful.

Brown Bookstore in Houston is the bomb.

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 07-10-2005 at 10:32 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Texas

Originally posted by golden tech
    has any one used the pals hvac book to help passing a texas b test.
    Know a fellow in Tyler that took the test after a 2 day seminar, less than 4 months in the trade and as dumb as they come and passed...
    inherited his granddads service truck and equiment and started playign the part...

I lke to call him Bubba's HVAC

Point is can't be to difficult if Bubba passed it... Goodluck
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Steve I went thru the ACCA course 6 years ago and they recommended getting my books from Browns.
    Can't remember the name of the instructor but he was from up around Dallas and was very good.
    AllTemp the test is not all that hard and has very little to do with actually working on equipment. It is mostly being able to look up codes and rules. I have seen techs with great skills not take a prep course and fail and newbies take a course and pass.
    The test unfortunately is not about being able to do the job it is about being able to discern what the codes and rules are and how to stay legal. Unfortunately this means business people can get their license but capable techs can have a hard time. It also means that most learn enough to pass and then forget it. The state is trying to make some head way they are bringing in new requirements that require so many hours of a credited hours of technical training per year to retain your license.

25% of first timers pass the b exam and 33% pass it that take it multiple times......so you tell me.....is it hard?

3 yrs. of documented field experience are required to take the exam. If someone took it with 4 months they must have lied and gotten away with it. If the state finds out they will revoke the license.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by classical
    The state is trying to make some head way they are bringing in new requirements that require so many hours of a credited hours of technical training per year to retain your license.
    Yes,the extra hours will be require starting in Jan 2006 and you will have to complete it before you renew your license in 06'.......

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    If someone took it with 4 months they must have lied and gotten away with it. If the state finds out they will revoke the license.
    Yes, and I am sure they will dedicate an entire team of investigators to check him out, I have a news flash for you most government license, or etc. is all about the almighty dollar once they get that they could care less, if this were not the case and this country ran a tighter ship in Government we all would be a lot better off, now are you going to tell me this country's Government runs a tight ship?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by andserco
    Yes,the extra hours will be require starting in Jan 2006 and you will have to complete it before you renew your license in 06'.......
    Yeppers more money that is what it's all about if you don't believe that you are not living in the real world of Government control, whats next will they start building freon pumping stations.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Yea, we used to renew every three years now every year for more money,, and we dont have to show proof of ins unless we have a change in business status or change ins companies, what is up with that.....