Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: condensate pump failed, now outdoor unit doesn't work

Post Likes
    The condensate pump started making loud noise, and it died later that day. I replaced it with a new pump, but now it seems as if the outdoor unit is dead. I get air blowing from the furnace, but it is not cold at all. There is a slight humming coming from the outdoor unit, and I got it to start up once after messing with it and the fuses, but it was going slow, making strange noise, and then it quit again. It is still humming, and seems like it's trying to start. Could this be a blown capacitor, or maybe the contactor? What do you guys think? Thanks

Post Likes
    It could be.

No way for me to know for sure from here.

Call a contractor, and also have a full service done to it.

Also, turn off the breaker to the outdoor unit, don't want to do anymore harm to it.

Post Likes
    Was there a safety switch on the old pump? If so, those wires need to be hooked back up to the switch on the new pump.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Was there a safety switch on the old pump? If so, those wires need to be hooked back up to the switch on the new pump.
    I was going to ask that at first, but then I reread his post, the safety switch not being rewired in wouldn't let the condenser run at all, let alone run slow.

Oooops.
    Unless of course he pushed the contactor in maually.

Post Likes
    The old pump didn't have the safety switch wired, and I did not push the contactor in manually. After I had it off for a while with the breaker cut, I then turned it on and it still wasn't running, so I removed the fused disconnect and pushed it in again to make sure it was tight, and the fan on the outdoor unit started.

It quit after a couple minutes though, and just buzzed. The fan spins freely, so that's why I think it might be a blown capacitor or the contactor. The woman of the house scheduled a tech to come out, but they were all busy, so it will be a couple days, and it's 85 and humid in my house, so I'd like to get it to at least run myself in the meantime. Thanks guys

Post Likes
    Good work.
    Another DIY breaks his equipment!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    This is not a DIY site. The below post is the best advice, and you should take it!

Originally posted by beenthere
    It could be.

No way for me to know for sure from here.

Call a contractor, and also have a full service done to it.

Also, turn off the breaker to the outdoor unit, don't want to do anymore harm to it.

Post Likes
    Do not push in the contactor,
    wait for the tech.

I think baldi was trying to remind him to wire the switch, if the old pump had a safty.

If the new pump has one, have the tech wire it up.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    Yellow Dot, I didn't break my equipment. I am trying to fix it after it broke. I realize you may not like people working on their own stuff, because you feel like it is eating into your business, but I know how to hook up the low voltage wiring correctly and I do a better job than the last professionals that worked on it. This stuff I'm doing myself is simple stuff that I know how to do. Thanks anyway

Post Likes
    turn breaker of and then back on and replace your fuses
    if the fuses are weak or breaker is partly tripped may cause this
    if that dont work then you will have to wait for the tech to get there
    in the mean time go to home depot and pict up a couple window shakers to get you through
    i do this for a living and have a window unit just in case
    dont understand why people suffer when the units are cheap enough

Post Likes
    Thanks tinknocker. I hope to have a tech out tomorrow. I've tested and reset the breaker several times, and have tried two different sets of brand new fuses, so I don't think that's it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dresden
    Yellow Dot, I didn't break my equipment. I am trying to fix it after it broke. I realize you may not like people working on their own stuff, because you feel like it is eating into your business, but I know how to hook up the low voltage wiring correctly and I do a better job than the last professionals that worked on it. This stuff I'm doing myself is simple stuff that I know how to do. Thanks anyway
    Something you said earlier really pisses me….

Regardless of your expertise this is still NOT a DIY site. Another thing… we have enough on our business plates during this season to not worry about if this is cutting into our business. Let’s get real here.

You say you didn't break it but it stopped working after you worked on it. Since it is so simple then why are you coming to us to get your system running? Wait… Because it is free!

Sorry… I don’t mean to be a butthead about this but we hear it here and all day at work. Most of these guys have 30 or more years hearing the same old thing. So cut us a little slack... thanks.

Post Likes
    well said

Post Likes
    Sorry lusker; didn't mean to be a jerk. I didn't come here because it's free, but just because it's the weekend and I wanted to get my AC runnning, plus I like to avoid having people come into my house whenever possible. I'm a builder and I could just ask one of my subs on Mon if I only wanted free advice. I thought the DIY rules here were more directed at guys that try to install an entire system. Once it's fixed, I'll let you guys know if it's the capacitor and/or contactor like I thought initially. Thanks
    Originally posted by lusker Something you said earlier really pisses me….

Regardless of your expertise this is still NOT a DIY site. Another thing… we have enough on our business plates during this season to not worry about if this is cutting into our business. Let’s get real here.

You say you didn't break it but it stopped working after you worked on it. Since it is so simple then why are you coming to us to get your system running? Wait… Because it is free!

Sorry… I don’t mean to be a butthead about this but we hear it here and all day at work. Most of these guys have 30 or more years hearing the same old thing. So cut us a little slack... thanks.

Post Likes
    Dresden

DIY has a life of its own. What happens if we give directions to repair something and it kills or injures the person we thought was qualified? Let me tell you… poof… no more site…. Poof…. No more house ‘cause the lawyers would be all over everyone that even sniffed the post.

We have rules not to piss you off but because it is a well thought out rule.

We all are wanting to help everyone here so badly it bleeds. We just can’t due to the difficulties of working on the other end of the computer.. If we tell you, we must tell everyone because once it is posted… it is posted here for all to read and try.

All is good…. But sarcasm to Yellow Dot is not the way.

Thanks for looking at from our point of view.

>>>edit, fixed my stupid spelling errors<<<<

[Edited by lusker on 07-10-2005 at 08:16 PM]

Post Likes
    Very well said lusker, nothing more to add

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    How's it going TinKnocker?

I just wanted to point out, they should change the fuses inbetween the off and on cycle... not after!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya

I just wanted to point out, they should change the fuses inbetween the off and on cycle... not after!
    LOL

Post Likes

Talking

Originally posted by jultzya

doing good thanks
    your right wasnt thinking

Post Likes
    thanks guys.... you just made my above point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in