I know to some of you this is an easy question. But for me, it's always been a mystery.

How do you tell what the size of the condenser is by the Model/serial number? For instance, I have a Climate Control Air Handler. Model # E-s 311004 - 25 Serial # 8539701-K42-0045

What is the size of this unit? 2ton, 3 ton?

Most manufacturers are more overt than this one when it comes to the size indicated in the model number. I am not familiar with this particular brand but from the model number, it could be a 2 1/2 ton as indicated by the 311 in the model number, or a 4 ton as indicated by the 004 in the model number. Then it could be a 2 ton based in the 25 at the end of the model number. Serial number won't make reference (as far as I know) to capacity. Keep in mind, if you are saying this is the model number from the air handler (indoor unit) it won't tell you the size of the condenser (outdoor unit.) I am confident that if you submit the model number from the outdoor unit that someone on the site can tell you exactly what the size is. Also, same for the indoor.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Without looking it up....I would guess a 3 1/2 ton from the k42 in the serial number....42000btuh I always look for btu clues in the numbers. someone here will know for sure...
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    Originally posted by John Lloyd
    Most manufacturers are more overt than this one when it comes to the size indicated in the model number. I am not familiar with this particular brand but from the model number, it could be a 2 1/2 ton as indicated by the 311 in the model number, or a 4 ton as indicated by the 004 in the model number. Then it could be a 2 ton based in the 25 at the end of the model number. Serial number won't make reference (as far as I know) to capacity. Keep in mind, if you are saying this is the model number from the air handler (indoor unit) it won't tell you the size of the condenser (outdoor unit.) I am confident that if you submit the model number from the outdoor unit that someone on the site can tell you exactly what the size is. Also, same for the indoor.
    I agree with Jhon usually the unit size is stated at the model # not the serial#. My guess is 2 to 2.5 Tons

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    Sorry Mr. John Lloyd, I didn't typed your name correctly in my last reply.

I have a 1985 ARI book (s/n starts with 85 anyway) and that isn't listed under any of the SnyderGeneral brands. Looks like some of them but they all end up with the size as the last 2 digits of the model #.

I apologize for not including the fact that those numbers are from the air handler. I would have included the condenser, but the plate on it has long faded away. I figured that the air handler is about the same size as the condenser.

On older units you can usually use the compressor mod number to determine size also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The LRA rating from compressor nomenclature plate is usually a last resort but will typically provide info to determine capacity.

Question: why are you inquiring about the size? curiosity or need? If the outdoor unit information has long since faded away, are you looking at a new system upgrade?

Word of caution, don't ass u me that the model # from the indoor tells the whole story in regard to the size of the system. It is not unusual for the indoor and outdoor to be hybrid, i.e. you may have a 3 ton indoor air handler with a 2 1/2 outdoor unit.

With a heat pump, your match between indoor and outdoor, and correct capacity sizing is even more critical than with a straight cooling system.

The reason I ask whay you are doing, is that any contractor worth his salt, will calculate for you a manual J load to determine exactly what size you need. If someone comes in and as a result of kneejerk puts in same size system, if it wasn't properly sized when it was installed, guess what, now you have a NEW improperly sized system, and the higher efficiency you thought you were going to get? Forgetta 'bout it. If it's right, it's by accident. I would rather be correct on purpose.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I'm looking to replace the condenser. The house is old, and so is the little old lady that lives there. The compressor locked up on her the other day and it's easier to replace the whole unit rather than just the compressor.

I'm not a contractor, but am EPA cert. and have replaced quite a few units on property (apartment communities). All of the units on property are the same, so I haven't had to worry about sizing. This time, I need a lil help.