Thread: A/C Return

I have a two story home that has two units. The first floor has one return and the 2nd floor has two returns. Since moving into the brand new home about 2.5 years ago I have never been able to cool the 2nd story below 79 degrees during the summers except at night. Builder sent contractor out to balance and adjust vents but still no help. They attributed it to full sun and lack of shade. Last week I had a local company come out to inspect units and they found that one of the returns on the 2nd floor unit was not connected to the ductwork. You can remove the filter and turn the light on in the attic and clearly see into the attic. There is ductwork coming from the unit but it stops about five feet short of the return grill, sucking in 105+ temp back into the handler. How in the heck did it pass the original inspection is beyond me. Tech took temp reading at this return and got 98 degrees. Called builder to see if they would come out to fix problem and they had someone call me from their installer and they said sometimes they install units this way but they would send a tech out to take a look. My question is has this possibly damaged my unit by making it run more than it should have? Also is it possible that we have been exposed to insulation particles and pesticides being brought back into the system? What recourse do I have with the builder?

probably no real damage to equip. some damage to you wallet (elect bill). tell them you want them to clean the airhandler and evap coil.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The air has beeen pulled thru the A/C coil,which makes a good filter,so other than pesticides,I don't see a problem.

This coils needs to be cleaned,it could need to be removed for cleaning,can't tell from here.

Never had this happen ,but have had things happen that caused the customers electric bill to increase,we have paid the difference every time.This was costing extra summer and winter.Fair way is to pay you monthly,based on kilowatts used,the difference,maybe an adjustment for unusual weather.

Had a new guy,15 years ago,replaced a sequencer,and managed to wire it so the strip heat,and cooling ran at the same time,with cooling running 24/7 ,that cost around $600 for a little over a month,yours won't be close to that,just an example.

Update. After waiting a week for the builder to send someone out, the installer came out to take a look at the unfinished work. He went into the attic to look at the return that wasn't connected, went back to the van to get some flex duct and had it properly connected in under 15 minutes. As soon as the unit turned on I could hear the return pulling air in. Within 10 minutes 76 degrees. I have never been able to get the 2nd floor to 76 degrees during the summer. The unit cycles as it should now and doesn't run all day. I am so happy and looking forward to lower utility bills. I am in the process of putting together a letter to send to the builder requesting some type of compensation for his mistake. Any suggestions on what would be fair for both parties?

I would think 20% of you utility bills would be fair without knowing anything about how much it cost you, but 50% if you find that you get a dramatic difference in your bill. Nomatter what get the system cleaned and check by a real professional company
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by jack23
    Update. After waiting a week for the builder to send someone out, the installer came out to take a look at the unfinished work. He went into the attic to look at the return that wasn't connected, went back to the van to get some flex duct and had it properly connected in under 15 minutes. As soon as the unit turned on I could hear the return pulling air in. Within 10 minutes 76 degrees. I have never been able to get the 2nd floor to 76 degrees during the summer. The unit cycles as it should now and doesn't run all day. I am so happy and looking forward to lower utility bills. I am in the process of putting together a letter to send to the builder requesting some type of compensation for his mistake. Any suggestions on what would be fair for both parties?

Last years monthly less this years monthly,they pay the difference ,adjusted for severe weather if any.

Exclamation Reminder

Originally posted by jack23
    I am so happy and looking forward to lower utility bills. I am in the process of putting together a letter to send to the builder requesting some type of compensation for his mistake. Any suggestions on what would be fair for both parties?
    $567 is a Fair " REMEMBER to Complete Job " FEE.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities