Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    no infrared. use the digital.

Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer
    Seems when I check the subcooling after I have my approach temprature correct it is only two to three degrees. Kinda rubs what is taught wrong.
    You were taught the same as I -- "old school".

Remember, the outdoor coil is called a condenser for a reason. It's primary job is condensing.

Subcooling, kept to a minimum, allows more room in the coil for condensing.

A classic symptom of an overcharged system is too much subcooling.

I would stay with Lennox's recommendation.

When is the use of an infared thermometer acceptable. I ate hearing that I wasted money on something I shouldnt be using

Originally posted by ct2
    When is the use of an infared thermometer acceptable. I ate hearing that I wasted money on something I shouldnt be using

It's a great tool for checking 2 by 2 drop in registers in 10' ceilings. You will come up with things to use it for. Just not good for copper pipe.

Originally posted by ct2
    I use mine for finding poorly insulated walls and ceilings. You can also use them on registers to see if you have poorly insulated ducts. Other than that I like playing with the laser.

Back to the subject at hand, call the company and explain to them what you are finding and they will almost certainly come out and recheck the system. You most like paid a fair amount for that system and your satisfaction will be important to them.

Just curious but was there any reason you didn't go with the XC21-060
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

I have contacted the company about my concerns and they are going to check it out. As far as the XC21-060, it is brand new this spring/summer. I know that it is supposed to be identical inside. It's the cabinet that has changed. There were 2 reasons. One, I am really reluctant to be one of the FIRST to get a new piece of equipment. I like to have others help get the bugs out. Two, the unit is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches bigger in depth and length. It would have fit in the same space but it would have been tight and I wanted to give the unit as much clearance as possible for air flow. I was only losing about 1 SEER by choosing the HSXA19 so I opted for the 19. The concept of the XC21 and the hinged panels seems like a great idea for cleaning.

Good air flow is a very good reason to give up 1 seer in this range. I can also understand not being the first in line as well. Lennox is redesigning there equipment for ease of service and I think it's a wonderful idea.

Thanks for the reply.

[Edited by dpatty on 07-13-2005 at 06:40 PM]
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12