Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ridlejs View Post
    ... he said we could put the house into a positive pressure environment by installing what some mentioned here earlier. So what would you guys do?
    I would start with this. How negative is the house pressure with the fan running? If the AC guy didn't measure and discuss this, keep looking.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

He didn't measure any of that.

Then he is guessing and it your money. Move on. I advise an energy audit, blower door test that measures duct leakage as well. If they say, "Huh?" , move on. Your utility may help you or there may be a government entity to help (last choice) you find an energy auditor. The best ones for this are in HVAC.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Agree with the above, pressurized your apartment.

Forget the accuclean.

Deal with the source, don't let the smoke enter.

Im in the Austin, TX area. Do you guys have anyone in particular you can recommend?

Just checking, but you aren't sharing the same HVAC unit with the neighbors, right?
    -If you won't turn it on then nothing else matters.

No don't share the same unit. Don't share an attic either. There is a concrete slab in between te floors of the houses. The only thing is the trunk sits in a closet and we share a pipe with out upstairs neighbor.

ColdQuack Guest

Thumbs up Got it solved

Quote Originally Posted by ridlejs View Post
    Hey guys,
    I specifically registered for this site to ask this one question. I can not take my apartment smelling like cigarrettes anymore. My neighbors are prolific smokers and it seeps into my apartment. But the weird thing is, this only happens when its hot or humid outside. It's 2:00 am here and I cant sleep because my eyes are burning its so bad. I usually open the windows which alleviates the problem to some degree, but its not helping tonight. (Raining outside). Does anyone have any solutions for this? I honestly can not live like this, but our family owns the apartment. So Im getting rent for basically half. So movings not really an option. I am open to spending money if it fixes the problem for good. Weve talked with our HVAC people and the only solution they provide is to buy an expensive uv light. They were around $1200 but Id be willing to buy one now if I know for certain it would work. Please someone give me some positive news!
    Hey, I've got the perfect solution: You said your family owns the apartment?Then tell them to make a no-smoking policy for tenants. Solution #2 -Just take up smoking for yourself, then you'll get used to the stench. Happy to help.

they are right. you will notice if you run the exhaust fan in your bathroom and close the door, the bathroom will smell strongly of smoke, more than the rest of the house! get a box fan in the window for a cheap semi-cure

Quote Originally Posted by ColdQuack View Post
    Hey, I've got the perfect solution: You said your family owns the apartment?Then tell them to make a no-smoking policy for tenants. Solution #2 -Just take up smoking for yourself, then you'll get used to the stench. Happy to help.

Solution #2 is perfect. I just quit smoking at the beginning of the year, so now I realize how powerful that smell can be. Lynn has it right, diagnose then fix.

Fresh air taken through the air handler ensures pressization and ensures AC air leaks out through any crack or opening.

Fresh air taken through the air handler ensures pressurization and ensures AC air leaks out through any crack or opening.

UVV lamps can be pretty powerful. Get a fiilter/EAC with activated charcoal coupled with a good UVV lamp....there isn't much it can't handle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12