Replacing a 35 hp. Copeland Discus compressor that was replaced 2 years prior. I take apart the suction core shell and find one of the paper element filters broken and the paper kept from going into the compressor by the fine mesh screen. Screen you say? Don't suction core dryers usually have springs or rods holding them together with the centers being empty? BTW, this is a 4 core dryer. Pulling out the core assembly I see that the outlet is about 1" on a 2-1/8" suction line. Anyone care to guess how or why the compressor failed? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

Come to find out, the manufacturer doesn't even produce a 4 core shell for a suction line dryer. Extra work for me, yaa...

...Ron

Ron are you saying that this core dryer had no rods or springs . Was dryer a sporlan or alco ? Can you post picture of this train wreck ?
    is this really happening or not

Originally posted by double bubble
    Ron are you saying that this core dryer had no rods or springs . Was dryer a sporlan or alco ? Can you post picture of this train wreck ?
    The only pic I have at present is a poor one of the broken filter media on the top pleated filter. What was installed was a 4 core liquid line shell dryer that has a 20 (or so) mesh steel, 1" round core that is wrapped with 100 mesh (or so) steel screen to trap any large particles. I'll take better pics on monday and send them out to whoever would like to see them or maybe post them in the "Hall of Shame" section.

...Ron

Sounds like a plan possibly you can post right here .
    is this really happening or not