Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by rich pickering
    3 months between cleaning on an electrostatic filter is usually very hard on a system. First place to look.
    I agree & would like to add the trade nickname for them"permanantly dirty filters"Why is this???Be cause even when clean they are more restrictive than most standard filters when half plugged with dirt.I would toss it in the trash heap & get a good media filter something like a spaceguard 2200 or comparable.
    Take your time & do it right!

Question HOw to replace electronic with media?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. It is clear from what you all have said that I should replace the Carrier Electronic Air Cleaner 31KAX016.

It is possible to just replace the aluminum grid with filter media or do I need a entirely new frame? The Aluminum grid is 18 ¼ “ high, 9 5/8 and 13 7/8 wide, a total with of 23 ½, and 6” deep. The two pre-filters are 18 3/8 high and 11 7/8 wide.

Thanks again for all of your help.

electrostatic & electronic are two very different filters.I would still change over to a media though......I you do not clean the electronic it will only catch what the crappy little prefilter grabs.I do not like electronic filters because they are a high maintenance item if you want it to work you should be cleaning it two times a month.......If I had one my motor would be dirty too haha...With a media you change the cartridge one or two times a year & be done with it.
    Take your time & do it right!

QUESTION: How do I get Carrier to help pay for the cost of the replacement blower motor?
    Carrier is the worst at trying to get anything. Good luck.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: HOw to replace electronic with media?

Originally posted by tubes
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. It is clear from what you all have said that I should replace the Carrier Electronic Air Cleaner 31KAX016.

It is possible to just replace the aluminum grid with filter media or do I need a entirely new frame? The Aluminum grid is 18 ¼ “ high, 9 5/8 and 13 7/8 wide, a total with of 23 ½, and 6” deep. The two pre-filters are 18 3/8 high and 11 7/8 wide.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Most here thought you have an Electrostatic Filter,not an EAC.

If it's working properly ,no need to change it.

We have 18 year old coils,with EAC's ,have been cleaned quarterly,at best,coils are clean.

What do the cells lok like when you pull them to clean?

Every application can be different,at worst you may need to clean them more often.

I seriously doubt the filter is the cause of 3 motors.When was each replaced/Are you sure they used Carriers motor,or even the correct size,rpm,etc.?

Could be a restrictive duct system,can't tell from here.

Is the electonic air cleaner mounted on the side of the furnace? Are the cells a mere 2" away from the computer module that drives the motor? Is there any evidence of water or condensation on the motor or harness? Is the technician using his magnetic nut driver to pull the module off and install the new one? Was an extended warranty offered but refused because it just didnt seem possible anything would go wrong?

Being a 94 model maybe it doesnt have the ECM, I forget. That had to be about the first year the MVP came out as the SXB would have been the VS, 2 stage up until that point.

Originally posted by ravenx
    QUESTION: How do I get Carrier to help pay for the cost of the replacement blower motor?
    Carrier is the worst at trying to get anything. Good luck.
    I would disagree with this, Carrier is very good. Many times the decision is not being made by Carrier but rather from the distributor.

Our distributorship gave away over 10k last year just “helping” people out.

But blaming Carrier for 3 bad blower motors is absurd, certainly there is a reason for the repeat failures other than "bad" motors.

I would guess a high static situation.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Thanks again for all of your info. I am sorry that I confused an electrostatic ear cleaner with an electronic air cleaner. I have an electronic air cleaner.

I didn’t want to give you my entire life story, but let me give you some more facts about my heating system. The first motor went at 3 years. We had the house full of fumes and the fire department found the very hot blower motor. The second motor only lasted a month and it was replaced under warranty. The third motor gave an intermittent over heating problem and on one of the service visits they found that the capacitor was bad. This could have easily shortened the life of the third motor.

My local Carrier dealer has some idiots (like the one that broke the plastic intake and exhaust pipes when cleaning the system). They also have some super techs that put it all back together again, discovered that the capacitor was bad, and increased the speed on the motor so the system would not get as hot.

The son of the owner of the dealership, he is also the service manager, came over on two occasion this Spring to measure and check everything that could be causing the intermittent limit switch lock out and couldn’t find anything. He spent over 2 house and didn't charge me.

After all of your advice, I guess I should be measuring the static pressure in the system.
    How should I measure the pressure, blower discharge to room, across the blower from intake to discharge? How much should the pressure be? Can I use a water manometer or do I need something special. Any web sites that you might recommend.

Thanks Again.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Static entering the the furnace ,between furnace and filter ,if possible,just inside furnace is okay.

Leaving the furnace,between coil and furnace,then after the coil.

Be careful if you drill holes,if you don't know whats behind that point,Don't drill.

Post the readings and note where taken,along with model numbers of all equipment.

Originally posted by dash
    Static entering the the furnace ,between furnace and filter ,if possible,just inside furnace is okay.

Leaving the furnace,between coil and furnace,then after the coil.

Be careful if you drill holes,if you don't know whats behind that point,Don't drill.

Post the readings and note where taken,along with model numbers of all equipment.

If you hear a hiss, you shouldn't have drilled there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12