Thread: Heil High Efficiency 9000-exactly how efficient?

Post Likes
    I have a couple of questions on matching the evaporator coil to the condenser and would be grateful if anyone can help.

I have a (now dead) Heil High Efficiency 9000, Model Number CA9036VKA1. Four years ago, I replaced the coil. The technician said he might be able to use the existing coil--if the efficieny of the new unit (Payne) matched the old. Does anyone know what the SEER rating was for these units. I've looked all over H to find out. I will try to call Heil later this morning, but I don't have that much hope.

Also, when you guys talk about matching the evaporator to the condenser, is it just by capacity (e.g. 2 ton) and efficiency, or are there other factors? Now, I'm talking real world here, something the "good" technician would do to match the two--and not the "perfect" technician/engineer that comes out of the design labs.

Thanks in advance.

Optimist

Post Likes
    Please post the coil numbers and the Payne numbers. We will see if we can go from there.....

Post Likes
    If it does not run I would say about 100%

Post Likes
    The 9000 is a 12 SEER, probably TXV coil. 10 SEER Payne has recip which probably won't start against the TXV coil without a full hard start kit. As usual, best bet is do it right! The only matching coil is the one the manufacturer calls for.

Post Likes
    Sorry for not thanking those who replied. I took off for vacation and, as is always the case, left too many things undone.

I have now read enough to be just a bit uneasy with both the technician and whether the previous coil is/was a correct match. (In all fairness, the tech did say it might work:"...we would have to install it and see." But it sounds like a correct match is a bit more complicated than just install it and see if it works. (More like installing the correct spark plugs in a car engine.) And I have to wonder who will be paying for this experiment to see if it will work.

Thanks again and I'll keep reading. It's a great source of information.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by optimist
    ------- (More like installing the correct spark plugs in a car engine.)
    [/B]
    Good analogy

Post Likes
    Thanks. Once upon a time I was a certifiable, er certifed, mechanic. I wasn't active in the trade long enough to consider myself a seasoned mechanic (although it did help to pay for college). I have forgotten half (and the other half has changed), but I still have enough knowledge to question the mechanic when told that I need to replace my muffler bearing.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by optimist
    And I have to wonder who will be paying for this experiment to see if it will work.

you would unless you pay more to have it done right in the first place.

Post Likes
    Yes, yes. The question was rhetorical.

Of course, he would expect me to pay for it. My point was that, up until this last visit, I thought that I was getting top notch experience and wouldn't have to pay for these types of experiments or for someone's on-the-job training.

Now I have been dealing with this person for the last eight years and this is the first time that I have cause to question his judgement. But things change. I have much less money than eight years ago. And also, he has gone from a single person operation to having several people working under him. I have to assess how these changes affect his relationship to me and my budget.

Now if you are thinking I am a penny pinching miser, you are absolutely correct. And I am proud of it. It is also why I am willing to pay more for good service and, when I can afford it, good equipment. But I want to know how much I am paying and what I am getting for it. How much am I paying for a better chance at getting someone who knows what they are doing; how much to have the service technician think of me kindly when I call on Saturday night; how much to keep the business viable so that the number isn't disconnected when I make that call.

Anyways, I'm way off topic now, so I'd better end here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in