Just had a new Rheem RPMD 3 ton heatpump installed adjacent to my screened porch. It's quieter than my old unit but I'm hoping that with the addition of a sound blanket on the compressor that I might be able to get it even quieter. I realize that the majority of the noise is fan noise but the hum/drone of the compressor can also be heard.

Any sugestions regarding "factory" sound blanket vs. aftermarket sound blankets for the scroll? If so what do you recommend.

Also, do you think the sound blanket will really make any difference on the Rheem Heatpump or am I just throwing away money? Any real world experience with this brand with and without a sound blanket?

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    I have seen Goodman and Trane with OEM sound blankets and those really reduce sound to really low db. There are aftermarket but never deal with one yet.

Do you think there might be a problem with possible voiding of the manufacturers warranty by using an aftermarket sound blanket on a unit under warranty?

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    I don't think there should be any problem. But I strongly recomend you to contact the equipment manufacturer directly and ask them. Just to be safe!!