AC unit is located on top of a Carrier furnace model 58SS (circa 1983). It's an older AC & outdoor condensing unit looks like a Carrier model 38ED030300. Last June I replaced the contactor coil & dual capacitor in the outdoor condensing unit. Went downstairs tonight & saw liquid from AC unit had dripped into the furnace & floor. I turned off the AC. Looks like the liquid is dripping from the bottom of AC into furnace. Any idea what needs to be fixed here? Thanks, darc

Condensate pan on evaporator coil, or clogged drain. Call a tech.

P.S. - Not a tech; I just like browsing around here and if there's a really basic question I’ll answer it - might as well. Not supposed to ask about pricing and I don't know what the cost would be anyway.

[Edited by amd on 07-08-2005 at 01:14 AM]

if condensate pan on evaporator coil or clogged drain, what are we talking about for parts & repair time? thanks, darc

AMD & others: would it be possible to blow on the other end of drainage pipe to attempt to clear it? Like forcing air in w/ a portable compressor? Should we also force in some liquid that will decrease algae/mold growth like bleach or? Thanks, darc

Originally posted by amd
    Condensate pan on evaporator coil, or clogged drain. Call a tech.
    Could also be a dirty coil.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

could be a cracked drain pan too.

Originally posted by darc
    AMD & others: would it be possible to blow on the other end of drainage pipe to attempt to clear it?
    yes,
    look for ice around the lines going into the duct, if there is some you have another problem and need to call a tech.........after you change the filter

i just hooked up the AC drain pipe to a 6.5 peak hp shopvac & sucked out some water. is it a good idea to blow some air back into the pipe from same shopvac? thanks, darc

I have a Carrier (1977) which occasionally does the same thing your's is doing. And my remedy is the same thing you do with the shopvac. I hook it up to the drain line and alternately use suction and blowing for a couple of minutes.

Has been working for me for a long time. Good luck.

Dont forget to refill the trap.

doc, not sure what you mean by refill the trap---can you explain? the shopvac sucked out some small balls of crud. i fired the ac back up & a steady drip of water is coming out of the drain pipe. no evidence it is leaking under the ac. will probably turn off ac & blow some air back into the pipe w/ 6.5 hp vac for 1 minute to see if it helps clean line. would it work better to hook up shop vac to end of drain pipe to suck out crud when ac is running? thanks, darc

if water is running out the drain ok, then there is no need to worry about the trap. if you even have a trap it has already filled itself. a dry trap could cause water to back up in the coil, only if the coil is on the suction side of the blower motor.