Tempstar Fan Relay

Hey guys, just moved into a house a couple weeks ago and started to notice that the blower on this Tempstar furnace stays on even after the Honeywell stat clears the "Cool on" or "Heat on" condition. Read up on it, people said try hitting the side of the furnace or finding the relay and tapping on it, so I did, and when I hit the front of the furnace near the relay on the housing it shuts off. Is that a good indication of a bad relay? lol

Call a tech to find out for sure

Quote Originally Posted by jsimonye View Post
    Hey guys, just moved into a house a couple weeks ago and started to notice that the blower on this Tempstar furnace stays on even after the Honeywell stat clears the "Cool on" or "Heat on" condition. Read up on it, people said try hitting the side of the furnace or finding the relay and tapping on it, so I did, and when I hit the front of the furnace near the relay on the housing it shuts off. Is that a good indication of a bad relay? lol
    The question I need to ask is: Does it stay on all the time or does the fan run for up to 2 minutes and then shut down on it's own? If it runs continuously, you need a technician and if it runs for a couple of minutes and shuts down on it's own, this is normal operation and not a problem.
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

The late and greatest ever, Senator Barry Goldwater

It runs continuously, or until I "manually shut it off". I'm gonna have the wife call a technician tomorrow I suppose. Are the relays universal (other then different voltages)?

Edit: I forgot to mention though, it will sometimes shut off itself, it's like a 50/50 thing. Sometimes it'll stay on for 20 minutes after the system shuts down, other times it'll shut off right when the system shuts off down. That's what made believe it was a sticky relay.
    Last edited by jsimonye; 04-10-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Quote Originally Posted by jsimonye View Post
    It runs continuously, or until I "manually shut it off". I'm gonna have the wife call a technician tomorrow I suppose. Are the relays universal (other then different voltages)?

Edit: I forgot to mention though, it will sometimes shut off itself, it's like a 50/50 thing. Sometimes it'll stay on for 20 minutes after the system shuts down, other times it'll shut off right when the system shuts off down. That's what made believe it was a sticky relay.
    Only )our tec can answer that for you. Good luck and I hope it all comes out good for you!
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

The late and greatest ever, Senator Barry Goldwater