+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some tin from today.

Post Likes
    ridged s lock is what I know it as...

Guy that makes our metal, I swear his 26ga is closer to 24ga and his 24 is closer to 20ga metal. The shop that made the metal also made the s'lock(as we call it) Trust me it is plenty stiff. The last ridged S we got sucks compared to the old sealtite stuff we used to get.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Did You have to wax the duct or was that included in the pricing? Whenever I got carried away with two sheetmetal screws in each hanger I was assured an orcestra of oil canning music. But it is a job worthy of metal art! ds.

Post Likes
    Very nice. I love seeing a good Duct job. I myself have been mostly self taught, and take great pride in what I do. I love to see the inside curves on the elbows, and admit I still need to learn how to do that.

Post Likes
    Metal shop does it on the computer. Spits the metal out, add cross brakes,pittsburghs, snap lock, drive hooks, whatever it needs. Use a slip roll to form the radius pieces. Assemble and done. They can make about anything.

Got an overhead spiral duct job this week. Never used the stuff before.

Post Likes
    inside radius that is cool! I fight with our sheet metal shop to have them install them. They always complain that it is to hard.

Post Likes
    Computer cuts it out, roll the piece in a slip roll, run it through the pittsburgh machine and assemble.

Not that hard at all. I think these broadways had a 3" throat. Metal shop can make it however we want.

Post Likes
    Another ductwork job next week possibly. Have to go measure it all up tomorrow. I thoroughly enjoy getting rid of ductboard. Been over a year since I have used ductboard for anything. Only reason we did was to match the unit sitting next to it. They wanted them to look the same, or as close as we could come to the same.

Custom fittings is the way to go. Got a zoned system to finish tomorrow possibly. Try and snap some pics.

Post Likes

Anyone who takes pride in their work can use any material and do a good job

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    Another ductwork job next week possibly. Have to go measure it all up tomorrow. I thoroughly enjoy getting rid of ductboard. Been over a year since I have used ductboard for anything. Only reason we did was to match the unit sitting next to it. They wanted them to look the same, or as close as we could come to the same.

Custom fittings is the way to go. Got a zoned system to finish tomorrow possibly. Try and snap some pics.
    With your attention to detail you could make the material yourself, provide a sealed-insulated system that has lower leakage and better acoustics for half the cost
    Try to keep an open mind
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    ?? I can order the metal insulated, or insulate it before I put it together. In this situation, leakage would be pointless. All the air is going in the same room...

Post Likes
    ?? I can order the metal insulated, or insulate it before I put it together. In this situation, leakage would be pointless. All the air is going in the same room...
    Sorry jimmyed but i just got to ask one question ?
    I have to turn a supply plenum 90* on a RTU. 14" x 28"
    What would be the best way to do this ?
    Thanks in advance
    VTP

Post Likes
    Wouldn't be difficult. Just have a transition made. Just have to know what your off sets would be, as in flat on the back and left side or just keep everything centered.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't be difficult. Just have a transition made. Just have to know what your off sets would be, as in flat on the back and left side or just keep everything centered.
    Thank you jimmyed,
    That is what I had visualized in my head. What would be the shortest I could make the length ?

Post Likes
    I don't know that, longer it is the less turbulence. That may be a question to ask the metal shop..

Post Likes

Let us know how your spiral job goes. I have one coming up as well.
    Two 5 ton Trane RTU's with open ceiling.

Post Likes
    Real nice Jimmy! I myself love doing ductwork and wish I had the shop to make the 90 deg sweeps . Keep the trade up my friend!
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Post Likes
    I don't know that, longer it is the less turbulence. That may be a question to ask the metal shop..
    you want to keep the angle of the transition no more than a 45 deg. 30 is better and for an offset you want to keep the length of set over the amount of offset and side of the offset

Post Likes
    Thats a reverse transition.
    Always here

Post Likes
    ridged s lock is what I know it as...

Guy that makes our metal, I swear his 26ga is closer to 24ga and his 24 is closer to 20ga metal. The shop that made the metal also made the s'lock(as we call it) Trust me it is plenty stiff. The last ridged S we got sucks compared to the old sealtite stuff we used to get.
    it's not, it's 26 gauge. Next job you should use, standing slip or bar slip (same)
    Last edited by energy star; 07-05-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Always here

Post Likes
    Metal shop does it on the computer. Spits the metal out, add cross brakes,pittsburghs, snap lock, drive hooks, whatever it needs. Use a slip roll to form the radius pieces. Assemble and done. They can make about anything.

Got an overhead spiral duct job this week. Never used the stuff before.
    Spiral is pretty simple to install, but hard to do it right.
    It has to be level and straight and the joints must be evenly matched, and if you cut it, it has to be an even cut. Just takes a 1/4" off at the start, to look back and see how you have meandered 6" or more off straight at the end of a run.

Around here, I think that is why spiral is liked, but usually ends up getting painted black to match the ceilings in commercial buildings where it is exposed. Because while it looks good when right, every mistake is visible from the floor below.

Post Likes
    I see a garage door. Is it opening to the outdoors?, or just another area of the factory? If it does open up to outside and if they have cool or cold conditioned air going through that duct, it may sweat when warm humid air hits from outside. Insulation?

Take the strap off the supply sweep holding it to the wall, don't need it.
    Always here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in