Thread: heat pump replacement

Post Likes
    Need to replace heat pump in my house. House is 1500 sf.
    A/C guy recommends Gibson or american Standard 3 Ton. 10 or 12 SEER max. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (Are these good brands? Is one better than teh other? Are there other brands far better that these?, etc).
    Thanks

Post Likes
    What do you want? Gibson is a very low end line. No frills, gets the job done though. A-S is premium with beautiful cabinet, recessed ceramic coated screws, demand defrost...

Like comparing a Kia with a Lexus.

How did they arrive at size of unit? Are they installing a matching indoor unit?

http://www.johnmills.net/work/advice.html

Post Likes
    Bald,

I just recently bought a Kia. Its the Amanti, the big one. Frankly I didnt consider a lexus but as compared to the ones I was in, I didnt think it was that great for the money.(plus I dont have that kind of jack) The Amanti, on the otherhand is every bit as good as its competitors such as the toyota avalon or the nissan maxima or the mazda millenium.

Gibson is low end though.

Post Likes
    Ok Doc, maybe I should have used Daewoo as an example

Post Likes
    Bald--

The size (3 Ton) came from the existing unit in the house. They will replace the indoor unit as well.

They also mentioned that starting Jan 1, 2006 all new installations (including replacements) will be with systems different than the ones used now because of a law signed by Clinton. Is this true?

They offered the following prices (outdoor cabinet + indoor unit + installation + taxes (FL)):

Gibson 3 ton 10 seer 3.3k
    Gibson 3 ton 12 seer 3.7k
    A-S 3 ton 10 seer 4.1k
    A-S 3 ton 12 seer 4.8k

What do you think? Would you recommend a brand other than these two. I'm looking for reliability.

Thanks

Post Likes

Cool

yes with new law in i think mid january 2006 all units will be min of 13 SEER

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in