Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Steve,

The system is 3.5 years old and unless there is a specific warranty that covers labor, there would be no labor coverage. Why is it the warranty is good enough when the unit is purchased but when theres a problem its not? In this case, its a construction home and he didnt likely get offered that warranty.

That's a good question but I really have no idea. I was able to convince this particular contractor that I needed the coil by describing what I did with my friend to find the leak, and I told them that I had already verified with Goodman that the system and the coil in particular was under warantee by calling a Goodman distributor in the Wash. DC area and giving them my coil's serial number. This contract then went to their own distributor to get a replacement coil which they showed up with when they first came out to my house. (The fact that they were willing to take my word that what I needed was a new coil was a small miricle considering that 99.99% of all contractors will only come out to do a diagnostic evaluation for a fee before they doing anything else).

I paid this contractor almost $600 to put in the coil and recharge the system, but I don't know what is going on between them and Goodman. I've been reading in this forum and other places that Goodman can be a PITA to work with which would explain why the contractor will not work anymore with the rest of the system that is also supposedly under warantee. The whole thing boils down to Goodman with their crappy equipment and support. I had no choice in the matter since this was what the builder gave me with the new construction of my townhouse. Changing the furnace/AC equipment brand or model was not negotiable.

mas6700

In my experience with Goodman warranties when I bring in the failed part I never seem to get credit for it without a major fight. In fact one time I brought in a failed compressor and I was billed for the failed one AND for the new one. It has gotten to the point that I just tell customers to call someone else if they have a Goodman warranty issue.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

unit won't pump down

Air, moisture, refrigerant mixture gives you acid, eats away at the windings of the compressor. Compressor is done. Find cost of compressor change done properly with driers and vaccuum you can save the unit. All that's left is comparing the price to a new system. I didn't see where you said what the size of the system is. Depending on size the fix could be relatively inexpensive compared to a new system.

Steve -- Your experience with Goodman warranties sounds typical based on my unofficial survey of AC repair companies in the Wash. DC area. In my search to find someone to work on my system I had at least three companies tell me they do not do Goodman warantee work even though they advertise in the yellow pages that their service included Goodman/Janitrol equipment. One other company wanted proof that my equipment was under warrantee. When I told them that all I had was the paperwork that I got when I settled on the new townhouse they hung up on me.

By the way when I dug out my HVAC equipment paperwork I discovered that I could have bought an 'extended' warrantee that would have covered up to $400 in labor. When you're handed a ton of paper during your closing it's hard to recognize the significance of things like extended warrantees.

Just to let everyone know, I really appriciate all your comments and input on this unfortunate situation. I extend my sincere thanks to docholiday, shophound and everyone else for your helpful comments.

Jim -- I don't have the exact specs because I can't find a website where I can look up the model numbers of the compressor and coils, but I've been told tha the compressor/condenser unit is 3.5 tonn and the coil is sized as a 4 tonn. Based on what everyone has been saying this system is probably now really screwed up since it's been recharged while it still has a fair amount of moisture in it. Then to make matters worse I've tried running it for several hours which probably circulated the moisture/air/freon mixture through out the feed and return tubing and my new 'leak free' evaporator coil.

So the way I see it I have the following options: (1) I can try to get someone to come out and do an extensive clean up of my compressor, condenser, feed lines and probably my evaporator in an effort to remove any acid that has formed and to do a triple evacuation, etc. as docholiday explained. Since this approach would be to try to save the compresser I should probably also make sure first that the compressor isn't already fried by doing a megaohm test. (2) The second option is to get the compresser/condensor unit replaced either under Goodman's warrantee (long shot), or just buy a new Goodman unit and then make sure that the remaining system is throughly cleaned up so I don't destroy the replacement compressor. (3) The third option is to just trash the whole system and buy a new compressor and coil and get new feedlines put in or get the existing lings cleaned with guaranteed assurance that there will no residual contaminates left. The trouble with this approach is that I would be putting a quality system like Carrier or Lennox on top of my old Goodman furnace and blower which doesn't seem like a great idea. (4) Finally the last approach is to just replace the whole thing and have the peace of mind that I have a reliable new system with a real warantee for both the winter and summer. I may have a nervous breakdown worrying about how I'm going to pay for a new $12K system, but at least I'll be comfortable.

Given my experience up to now with trying to get someone in this area to fix this system, I don't think the first two options would be worth the effort or cost. I've even been considering getting my 608 Type I EPA certification and then buying all the repair equipment so I can try to fix it myself, but I don't really have the time to spend on such an adventure. I got a quote from a local dealer who has NATE certified technicians for the top of the line Lennox system (XC21 and G61V) with the PureAir filter and an AprilAir humidifier all for about $12K installed. Considering that all I did was just try to turn on my AC six weeks ago and now I'm looking at spending $12K, it's makes one pause for a sanity check. But Lennox is also offering a 18 month same as cash, no down payment finance plan, so I'd essentially have a year and a half to save up to pay for this new system. By that time the house will be 5 years old and the Goodman system will be completly out of warantee, (as if that really is gonna make a difference), at which point I'll be considering a new system anyway unless the existing furnace and born again AC system is still running, which at this point seems like wishful thinking. The easiest option is to just spend the money and worry about it later. Isn't that the American way?

Thanks again for all your help!

Mike Schwartz

so get a new goodman outdoor unit and buy the extended warrantee with it.

doc i couldnt agree more seems it is easer for some techs to sellit then fix it.
    if the compreesor is to be replaced. after the compressor is removed from the unit before the new one is installed have them blow out the system with nitrogen both ways to get anything and remaining oil out as much as possible. then as doc said and it should be fine for a long time.
    to replace a 3.5 year old system just because it is easer is a sin. even if you can afford to replace it
    a good tech can put this system back on line as long as it is done properly

Doc and Tech -- I appriciate your pressing me to really try to fix this system rather than just throw a whole lot of money at the situation. I haven't made any final decisions yet so I still have an opportunity to do the right thing. I guess I'm being enticed by all the fancy brosures for new equipment.

What really worries me about trying to fix this system at this point is making sure it gets done right so I don't screw up a replacement compressor and condensor and just prolong this nightmare indefinitely. I will make up a detailed list of all the work that you guys have talked about and go over it with the company that put in the evap. coil and see what they say about it. I agree with you all that the system could be fixed if its done right, I just don't have a lot of confidence that I'm going to find a company who will do everything that is necessary so the system isn't left as a ticking time bomb. The fact that you guys have exlained all of this stuff for me has been a tremendous help and I really appriciate it. I'll post what I find out about getting the system repaired. I'm in no hurry to go (another) $12K into debt...

Could someone list what is the procedure is for removing the oil from a hermetric compressor?
    The obvious is obvious

jrc, thanks for asking the very question I was wanting to ask. On a residential system it's not something I've ever had occasion to do.
    Question authority!

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in nashville, the local goodman distributor will hand you part for part if the unit is in warranty with no questions asked. Like Doc said, I'd make them stand good on the warranty and replace every defective part. Mas6700, send me the model and serial number. I bet the local guys here would even replace the parts if you sent them.

[Edited by ravenx on 07-09-2005 at 12:27 PM]

Originally posted by jrc2905
    Could someone list what is the procedure is for removing the oil from a hermetric compressor?
    The standard procedure is to place a hand pump hose into the suction line at the compressor, and remove the oil into a measuring container. That way, you'll know how much to put back in. You can also ask you locaL parts house what the exact amount is that the compressor holds. The hand pump won't remove all the oil, so if you can, remove the compressor and tilt it to remove what's left.After this proceedure, the compressor needs to sit upright for a few hours before the unit is started.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the compressor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast