Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If a service tech can't find the C terminal, or figure out where he can get a common from the transformer, then he's not a service tech.

I doubt he can tell you anything about your compressor either.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If your t-stat is working without the C terminal connected,then you don't need a Common.Not all t-stats require a common.And you can use any color wire you want.The t-stat won't know the difference.

Thanks for everyones input, the stat is one of those touch screen ritetemps w/remote. I think I will hit the yellow pages and try to find a contractor that is a member of the BBB here in Tucson. We must have 10 pages in the book filled with a/c companies. Does a factory authorized dealer for a particular brand mean squat? Thanks, I hate to be a pain, Just don't want to be taken advantage, I am one of those payday to payday kina guys, You know, the wifes the budgeteer and stuff.

remember also that american home maintenance techs work on comission and need to sell you something to get paid. find a small licsened company that pays there techs by the hour and dont be afraid to get a second opinnion...

Thermostats with a MECHANICAL timer have a wire (usually blue) connected to the C ( for CLOCK ) terminal. It was used to complete the circuit for 24V to the timer motor.

Any thermostat should have come with detailed wiring instructions. What brand/model is it?

It is an 8082c ritetemp w/remote control. It requires the "c" wire for the remote to work. I located the C terminal on the control board at the compressor. It was hooked up, just not hoooked up on the terminal strip in the air handler. All is working well. I will searching the forum this weekend for what SEER unit makes sense. Is there any advantge to a split unit vs a pack unit? My last home had a pack unit on it, it too was a heat pump. Hopefuly I can pick up a few pointers so I can avoid being taken advantage of. Should the service person that was at my house today, hook up gauges? He said it was not necessary.

Originally posted by ltzpowerstroke
    I will searching the forum this weekend for what SEER unit makes sense. Hopefuly I can pick up a few pointers so I can avoid being taken advantage of. Should the service person that was at my house today, hook up gauges? He said it was not necessary.
    Oh my GAWD... this only gets better!

You better be doing research, for a COMPETENT HVAC company!

First, he doesn't have a clue as to the 'C' on the stat... then, he condemns your working unit (due to amp draw)... then come to find out HE NEVER HOOKED UP GAUGES!!!

Boy, if you believe THAT guy... you have SUCKER tattooed across your forehead!

No Tatoos here. I am sure glad I found this site for pointers in the right direction. I will update you after I have a REAL service tech check my system and see what they have to say. Again I would like to say thanks to you all for answering my post. I understand this site is for professionals, I appreciate you taking the time and sharing your knowldge. Not to many honest people out there today. I have worked in the mining industry for 25 years and I have seen my profession turn into unnecessary part changes due to poor diagnostics. I think the true repairman is a dying breed.

Originally posted by ltzpowerstroke
    I think the true repairman is a dying breed.
    Yep, that's because people will not take the time needed to first learn the trade, then retain and apply their knowledge out in the field.

Sadly, it's much more profitable to sell new systems then to argue with a client over a reasonable diagnosis/repair charge. They feel it was easily repaired and don't realize the amount of training it took to find the initial problem.

I think a real tech also would probably laugh at the Rite-Temp stat and insist upon a Honeywell VisionPro stat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12