Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I'm a newbie to this site.
    I need a new system for my 1500sf rancher with no basement. I received some estimates and it was either a Carrier comfort 80 gas furnace with a performance series 13 seer puron versus the
    Trane XR80 furnace with the XR12 13 seer ac. The trane has r-22. both have similar warranties and similar pricing.

Thanks in advance

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'm partial to the Carrier,but either way,I'd go R410a/Puron.

Check http://www.410a.com before You decide.

Also consider being sure you get a variable speed indoor fan motor,and a good/great control system,like Carrier's Infinity.

Of course I'm partial to Trane (of the 2 anyway) and would much prefer R22. Just remember that the website dash mentions is put out by Honeywell, a big maker of R410a so far from impartial

Key is don't use builder grade equipment, find the best installer who properly sizes it.

dash, slightly off the subject, if some R410a leaks out of a loose TXV fitting, is it necessary to recover and start fresh or can a few pounds of R410a be put in the system with no problem?

It can be topped off with no problem.

Baldie,Is there anything on that site that you'd say if false??

[Edited by dash on 07-06-2005 at 04:12 PM]

Thanks dash. I went to the site and it says that puron has only been in residential systems since 1995. Will these systems last 20 or more years like you find with the r-22? How do I know if an installer has expertise with puron?

In Florida ,a lot of systems don't make it to 20 years.I'd say the life is the same,the Puron/R22 Copeland scroll has been more dependable then the R22,but that may be inpart due to better installs.

Most mfrs. are requiring some training to be able to buy Puron/R410a systems,best bet ask them.If they down the product,and you want to use them,go with the R22.

Puron or R410

Both brands are good. Buy the Puron or R410. Get another Trane dealer to quote you the Trane XL14i with R410 if this dealer will not. R22 is being phased out. It will be against the law for any manufacturer to put R22 into a new unit in 2010. Thats not far off. Don't buy obsolete.

Thanks for the replies.
    mr big, I see from the brosure that the XR12 comes with R410a. Is it a good product? Also I have some small kids and the trane guy told me that the trane is better protected than carrier from kids ruining the condensor. Is this really a concern?

Originally posted by galaxystar2
    Thanks for the replies.
    mr big, I see from the brosure that the XR12 comes with R410a. Is it a good product? Also I have some small kids and the trane guy told me that the trane is better protected than carrier from kids ruining the condensor. Is this really a concern?
    Did your kids destroy your old unit.
    Do you normally see them playing with sticks, or rocks around the condenser.

Thats a pretty desperate sales tactic, IMO.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ditto.

I didn't see anything false but still don't see the need to rush into the stuff yet. I realize Honeywell & Carrier pretty well have everyone snowed into R410a and the upstarts won't have a chance with their alternatives. But for now it seems at least 1/2 of us (unscientifically from reading the posts here ) are perfectly content with our R22 systems.

I have the Trane XL90 and XR11 almost completely installed (they started the job on June 27th). The evaporator coil lists either r22 or 410. I suppose if you go with the r22 condenser (like I did) and when it has out lived it's cooling mechanical life one can switch to what is leagally available without changing the evaporator (not sure).

What or who ever you go with get a detailed bid on the job and don't worry about watching them like a hawk.....based on what I've been through.....the average consumer will get shorted if they aren't on the ball...

Here is what I've had to deal with....

No one told the installer about a media air cleaner for the job...(got it in writing)

They were going to run uninsulated duct...(contract says insulated supplies and returns)

They were going to run 5 supplies.....(contract says 7)

They were going to let the condensate drip into my crawl space....(contract says to an approved drain)

Installer had put furnace in place and left to make up the return plenum....I had to call him and tell him that it was the WRONG furnace. I should have just let him complete the job first then tell him to try again. (just for laughs and giggles)

Remember ..... get everything in writing!!!
    Because in the contractors world, when all is said and done, usually a hell of a lot more gets said than done!

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    I didn't see anything false but still don't see the need to rush into the stuff yet. I realize Honeywell & Carrier pretty well have everyone snowed into R410a and the upstarts won't have a chance with their alternatives. But for now it seems at least 1/2 of us (unscientifically from reading the posts here ) are perfectly content with our R22 systems.
    I could not have said it better myself, I think as time goes by there will be more changes and improvements in the R410a units. It happens with everything, the longer they are out the better they get. Remember the first 90% furnaces?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast