Thread: How much mastic will I need? And source for it?

Post Likes
    Wondering if anyone could tell me the estimated coverage I will get from mastic, the products most likely say on the containers but I haven't found any sites that show that information. Not sure how much I will need for seal up the ductwork in the basement that is easily accessible.

Also if anyone could recommend a site online to order some mastic. Called around and can't find any supplies places that sell it, at least ones I can walk into as a homeowner. Found a few online stores but figured I would ask for recommendations if anyone had used any before.

Thanks

Post Likes
    A 5 gallion bucket will take care of the average house.

Post Likes
    try lowes or home depot, theyve got it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by reverunbilly
    try lowes or home depot, theyve got it.
    Tried both by me, best I could find was small caulking tubes of it.

Post Likes
    ok so take a 5-gallon bucket and fill it with small tubes of calking

Post Likes
    Go directly to hvac supply store in your area,
    tell 'em cache sale, and you need waterbase duct mastic.

Post Likes
    home depot by me does carry it in little buckets, but it wasn't easy to find. It was underneath a bunch of other duct insulation stuff and not with the duct tape and metallic tape where I expected it. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy walking the isles wasn't able to find it or know it was there. The kind I've got is "Master Flow, water based Air Duct Sealant, model number WBA 50" Only had a half gallon bucket of it which claims 1 gallon covers 100 linear feet, 3" wide by 1/16" thick. i'd say that if you're not an expert at applying it that you'll end up using a lot more than that though. I know I laid it on a bit thick during a recent DIY adventure in my own attic that I wont tell you any more about for fear of encouraging the wrath of the regulars

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    A 5 gallion bucket will take care of the average house.
    Wow, houses around you must be a lot bigger than in my neck of the woods.

1 gallon usually takes care of all of the duct we put in (average house that is, 1,000-2,000 sq foot). Sometimes it'll take a bit more though...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in