Thread: Do electric baseboard heater have a seer rating?

Post Likes

Do electric baseboard heater have a seer rating?

I'm in the process of buying a fujitsu wall unit for cooling and heating, and I want to try and figure out the difference in efficiency between the two.

So does anyone know what is the equivalent seer rating of standard 1000w, 1500watt or 2000 watt electric baseboard heater.

Thank you for your help.

Post Likes
    Electric heat is 100% efficient, meaning everything that is put into it you get back out. Even though you technically don't lose anything, resistive heat is very expensive to operate due to the higher rate that electricity costs compared to natural gas. If your question is whether a ductless heat pump would be less expensive to operate than the electric baseboard, my answer would be yes.

Post Likes
    Heat has no SEER rating, SEER is a cooling rating. Heat is AFUE, HSPF, or COP. Your electric baseboard heat has a COP of 1.

Post Likes
    I don't understand why the standard around here in Quebec is Baseboard electric heating, over 90% of the house made today use that form of heating.

My house which is relatively new, use around 12000KW of electricity per year for heating alone, that's a lot of electricity. My house is extremly well insulated, if I compared to my mother's house which is smaller, it cost her 30000KW of electricity per year in heating.

I'm trying to figure out if purchasing a hvac is a good investment for me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shingor6 View Post
    I don't understand why the standard around here in Quebec is Baseboard electric heating, over 90% of the house made today use that form of heating.

My house which is relatively new, use around 12000KW of electricity per year for heating alone, that's a lot of electricity. My house is extremly well insulated, if I compared to my mother's house which is smaller, it cost her 30000KW of electricity per year in heating.

I'm trying to figure out if purchasing a hvac is a good investment for me.
    Do you have natural gas available?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    Do you have natural gas available?
    Yes I do, but the price of the electricity is so low compared to natural gas that I'm not convinced it's worth it.

The electricity is around .07$ KW/h for the natural gaz it's a bit more expansive than the average price in the us.

Post Likes
    Any Heatpumps up there ?

Post Likes
    Electric heat in quebec makes sense.

The effective equivalent HSPF of baseboard heaters is a pathetic 3.4.

A mini-split heatpump is a good option in your case - keep the baseboards for backup.

12 000 kwh for resistance heat is low - a heatpump may reduce that by 30-40% over the season.

Cheap to install.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shingor6 View Post
    Hydroelectric power, maybe? Plus it's easy and cheap to install. Even so, a heatpump makes a lot of sense in your area.

Post Likes
    3.414 BTU's of heat per watt. This is an immutable law of physics.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texanna Slim View Post
    3.414 BTU's of heat per watt. This is an immutable law of physics.
    And???

Post Likes
    All the money is invested in the looks of the house and nothing in the heating & cooling system because electricity is to cheap here in Quebec.
    I think we have the biggest market in the world for electric furnaces here.

Most of the people installs mini split unit when they have baseboards. It's the solution that will cost you less to save. but you still need your baseboards past -12c or -20c depending on the brand and type you wont get much out of your unit. but you will still manage to save quite a bit on your monthly bill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    And???
    Therefore, there cannot be any of rating for electric heat It is what it is.....3.414 BTU's per watt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texanna Slim View Post
    Therefore, there cannot be any of rating for electric heat It is what it is.....3.414 BTU's per watt.
    Yet there is. A COP of 1.

Post Likes
    A forced air system is good because it's more versital. You can use electic heap pump, gas, oil, LP, or wood. In Ohio the UT Co. wants to do away with the all electric discount. This would raise the rate from .07 to .12 cents/KW. The people with baseboard heat really get screwed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in