Thread: new a/c or not

Post Likes
    i am in living in my parents old house in IL. it is 900 sq ft. has a whirlpool a/c from 1976 or 79 looks like a horseshoe. it cools but not that well (i looked at the a coil and it needs to be cleaned)is it worth cleaning or better to get a new unit? will a new unit cool better then a old unit? i think it will be more effiencient for i am looking at American stander 12seer 1 1/2 ton . i used(hvac cal residential 4.0) to get heat gain and got a heat gain of 17954 (1.5 ton) is this a good unit and the best thing to do? thanks for any input jim

Post Likes

unit

i believe you should just spend a few bucks and get a new one... most units only last maybe 15 years... get a new one and be comfortable

Post Likes
    Make sure your heat gain matches the capacity of the unit. A 1.5 ton unit may not have a 1.5 ton sensible capacity.

Yes, a new one will be more efficient than your old one.

Don't forget about that old a coil and furnace....
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Post Likes
    Clean the sucker for sure.

In a 1.5 ton in Illinois, payback for a 12 SEER would likely be longer than the unit would last! But if you wanna spend the bucks, go for it. Just don't expect much of a savings.

Post Likes
    Forum Rules

[Edited by lusker on 07-05-2005 at 11:00 PM]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in