Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation

I have a package heat pump that is not cooling in the cooling cycle. I have a low amp draw, like 9.3 amps. I think my rating is 23.0 amps, and my gauge pressure is 150# suction, and #150 head while the system is running. It is a TXV system, with no reciever or accumulator. The suction and head seem to be equalized with the system running. The compressor cuts out on internal O/L before it shuts off. Could it be an issue of overcharge? or could it be a compressor with weak valves? I suspect the compressor has weak valves. Has anybody else seen this sort of thing?

__________________________________________________ ________

Thou shall install thermostat covers in public buildings!

[Edited by phxhvac on 07-04-2005 at 11:31 PM]

Your reading the same line my friendWhere are you taking your readings.....?

if your gage set is hooked up right and it is hot outside to give you 150 readings. itsounds like the compresor is gone
    low load amp draw
    over heating no freon flow to cool down unit
    age?
    condition?

Are you taking your readings at the commone suction port? 150 psi sounds like a lot of suction pressure. Also post your line temps, pressure won't tell you what is going on.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Exclamation

I traced the lines back to the reversing valve, the two ports on the outside of the Trane unit. The top one is connected to the middle of the three on the bottom side of the reversing valve(low side)(common suction). The bottom port is connected to the single line on the top of the reversing valve (High Side)(compressor discharge) It is a Trane rooftop package unit heat pump. The Trane unit is either 8 or 9 years old. I wanted to disconnect the condenser fan motor and let the head pressure rise to 475#, then cut out the unit without switching the reversing valve, to see if I have a hot suction line at the compressor or reversing valve line leaking by. But if I had an overcharge, wouldn't the amp draw go higher than the nameplate rating??? This unit is located in a clubhouse of an apartment building.

__________________________________________________ ________

Thou shall install thermostat covers in public buildings!

[Edited by phxhvac on 07-04-2005 at 11:32 PM]

Sounds like a bum compressor, valves or broken shaft.

sounds like broken compressor

Your statements imply that it may be heating OK. Are the pressure readings normal in the heat cycle? If so then you probably have a reversing valve that's sticking.

Exclamation Heating Cycle

Didn't try heating cycle it is over 110 degrees here in Phoenix!

Pfft. And your point?

You could try it for a few seconds just to see if the reversing valve is willing to move. Though if the readings are truly identical on both sides then it is probably a blown compressor. Even a stuck reversing valve isn't likely to completely equalize things.

Never seen suction pressure that high. My gauge only goes to 120 psi. I have had psi at 110 due to extreme indoor temp and unit cooling fine but no equal pressures. Sounds like that compressor is what I call "freewheeling". (broken crank?)

with both pressures being the same id say its dead compressor where do i get suction gauge that reads 150psi

if itas a roof top unit in 110 heat the sitting psi will be 150 easy

anyone ever herd if a psi temp chart freon only needs to be about 85 to give a psi of 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast