Thread: OK trane or Lennox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    Second time posting. wondering if there are new people viewing as for anyone who responded and or responds thank you.

Post Likes
    take your pick they are both good systems

Post Likes
    Why waste the storage space. Haven't we told you enough already? Buy one or the other, for heaven's sake.

Post Likes
    If new people were reading, they'd be reading your other post.

Senior Tech Guest
    Please...for the love of god...pick one...

Post Likes
    lennox. trane condenser coils are hidden,hard to clean,most techs dont clean because they dont want to take the unit apart to clean them and electric bills goes up and motors overheat when not clean, evap coils are very tall, if installed in closet you have to take the furnace out also to clean coils or replace if coils ever leak and they do.
    compressors are hard to get out of the high efficient units and will take 2 men. and all these things mean extra money out of your pocket to repair.

also depending on where you live you may have to pay extra money at nights or weekends to get parts from trane. the example is in fort worth and dallas.
    for nights or weekends emergency to open trane the stores take turns opening up. one week open somewhere in dallas the next may be the other side of town and so on. its not like dallas is far but its still a 20 or 30 minute drive over there, so
    someone will have to pay the extra money and that would be the consumer

also if dallas is so great why are the dallas cowboys, tx rangers, tx motor speedway, bass pro shops and cabellas closer to or in fort worth.

[Edited by airworx on 07-06-2005 at 08:21 AM]

Post Likes
    Then there's Lennox. Parts available only through them but if you are small they won't give you an account. They've opened & closed & opened an Indy warehouse which stocks virtually nothing anyway. Warranty comp from Lennox $95 in freight & handling, from A-S or Trane, $000000.

Lennox condenser coils have very tight fin spacing. They will plug up between the fins very quickly but rain will keep the outside surface clean so it isn't obvious they are plugged. Only a good washing and foaming coil cleaner will truly clean. The Spine Fin coil resists plugging better and if dirty, is not hard to clean with a hose. I just did one that hadn't been cleaned in years. Loosened the side panels and hosed out, 10 minutes.

If Lennox was so great, they wouldn't be hurting for market share and have to buy dealers just to keep some!

Post Likes
    I would go with Trane. I have replaced quite a few circuit boards on Lennox air handlers that are 4-5 years old. I have not encountered the same with Trane or Carrier or Amana.

Post Likes

NEWSFLASH: BOTH SYSTEMS WILL HEAT AND COOL YOUR HOUSE!

I don't know if you've bothered to read anything in the forum, but by now you should have heard the mantra of "the installer matters more than the equipment." If you don't believe this, head over to our Hall of Shame forum... you'll see plenty of Trane and Lennox equipment poorly installed and barely running because of this.

As far as the equipment goes, both are equally bad. The Tranes are a PITA to work on but parts are easy to get and most contractors are familiar with them and can get parts for them. The Lennox systems are difficult to get parts for, and Lennox loves to do things differently, so I hope you like the installer -- you'll be stuck with him for the life of the system. When you get to the higher-end stuff, the new Lennox systems also use louvered cases with hidden coils, so the arguements about that are slowly fading.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

From all the information I have read (and it is considerable) regarding Trane and Lennox, both appear to be good units. Could you be a supplier of another competing brand? If these two are so inferior, what brand would you suggest? I await your answer. Carpe Diem.

Post Likes
    lennox panels have hinges so you can open them.
    just buy a bryant reliant or carrier deluxe and then you will have the best system on the market bar none.

Post Likes
    Maizenbluedoc: I don't have anything to sell, just an opinion. Most of the the residential equipment sold today (Carrier/Bryant, Trane/Am Std., Ruud/Rheem, Lennox, Janitrol, Goodman) is the same basic design, with most of them using the same parts from the same manufacturers. I find the import units (Mitsu, Fujitsu, etc) to be of higher quality, but you'll pay a premium for them and not all of the installers & service techs know how to work on them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in