Thread: anti short cycle timer

Post Likes
    Okay, I have a question about putting a timer on my heat pump. You may have seen my earlier post about upgrading my windows and siding. I think my system is a little oversized now. IT's 4 ton in a 2800 s.f. house here in K.C. I talked to the HVAC guy about a new thermostat to replace my Honeywell, one that had a 2 degree differential. He's saying it would be cheaper and almost easier to just put an anti cycle timer on. Both the H.P. and thermostat have the normal 5 minute delay, so right now my off time is about 7-8 minutes on a 85 degree day with about 10 -12 minutes run time. I know I'm not in too bad of shape, but how does the anti cycle timer work? If we put one on that has a 5 minute delay, does it just delay the compressor? Or will it delay the air handler also? I'm assuming that when my thermostat calls for cool/heat after the afore-mentioned 7 minutes, the timer then will take over for another 5 minutes giving me a total of 12 minutes for a little more temp differential, and a little more run time. Sounds like it would work pretty good, and it's cheap to boot. As long as it also delays the air handler. Any down side to this guys? As always, thanks to everybody, I've learned a lot on this site!!

Post Likes

Smile

Hey why not just energize 5kw with the blower.

Post Likes
    Most timers are delay on break, meaning after circuit breaks, the timer holds the unit off for 5 minutes. If you want to add to your off time, you want a delay on make meaning when there is a call for cool, unit holds off for 5 minutes before running.

Post Likes
    put in a couple adjustable delay on make timer and you can adjust them for up to a 10 minute delay. one on fan one on compressor

Post Likes
    If you take a look at the RC-80 or RC-100 thermostat from HAI (www.homeauto.com). Their thermostats have max cycle times per hour in them. You can choose how many cycles are permitted per hour with these guys. Pretty cool

Dave

Post Likes
    Honeywell vision pro tstat will also allow you to set up cycles per hour.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Most of the better Honeywell stats do that.

And most all stats have a way to change run times.
    (whether it be cycles per hour or temp difference)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in