Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Not holding temp down during day.

Post Likes
    I just bought a 2 story 2400 sq.ft. house and I find that, even if noone is going in and out during the day, the A/C can't maintain 74F during the day. On a sunny day, the temp will creep as high as 80, starting from 74 in the morning, before the evening comes and it starts to cool down again. The A/C is a single York and I don't know the size or age of the unit. Where do I look for this info? I do know that the filter for the return vent is a 20x30, and I think it is too small, since a new filter is bowed up from airflow as soon as it is put in place.

I have a 609 cert and have been doing automotive A/C for over 10 years, but I don't know much about HVAC. I am assuming the refrigerant is R-22, since my R12/22 manifold gauge connectors fit. The pressures last night, with it being 76 in the house and 82 outside, were 60 and 165. I was wondering if this indicates a problem such as low refrigerant.

We have a home warranty, so I can will call them if I have a problem, but I'd like to know a little about the problem before calling them in.

Thanks,

Post Likes
    low on r-22.

Post Likes
    Most likely low charge,if so you have a leak and the home warranty co. will just want to charge the unit up,this may last through the warranty. then next year it will need freon again.Ask the service Co. to find and repair the leak.

Post Likes
    do not forget superheat and subcooling measurements, pressures pressures alone do not tell the whole story

Post Likes
    Short on juice!!!!!!!! At 82* outdoor temp your head should be around 220# - 230 #

Post Likes
    Originally posted by h2045
    Short on juice!!!!!!!! At 82* outdoor temp your head should be around 220# - 230 #

That's not always true. I just checked one that was 205psig at 92 ambient. You need the subcooling/superheat measurements to know what's going on in the system. That 160 head pressure sounds low,but the suction isn't far off. Don't just ASSUME it's short of freon.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    I would have the duct system checked. It also sounds like you may have an air flow problem.
    After that is checked, and fixed if not right, the refrigerant part of the system can then be checked acurately.

Post Likes
    Thanks all!

If it's flow I'll have to hire someone because the warranty specifically excludes installation issues. I've got a bad feeling about that though. That return is only 33% bigger than the one in my old 2 bedroom apartment and it seems like it's pulling way to much dp across a new filter. Guess I'll get the warranty people out and have them tell me exactly what is wrong. If I have to hire someone, I have to. The electric bill will eat me alive otherwise...

Measured the pressures again today at 87F outside 77F inside and they were 185/65.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hittman
    Most likely low charge,if so you have a leak and the home warranty co. will just want to charge the unit up,this may last through the warranty. then next year it will need freon again.Ask the service Co. to find and repair the leak.

vaderss
    My point is, if it is low on freon have them fix the problem or you will be paying out of your pocket when the warranty is gone next year.

Post Likes

DUCT-OLIGIST

find one of only 5 contractors in the free world that can read total external static pressure and CFM . Tyou will be amazed at what you find.
    yeaterday i measured a system that had been condemmed as too small by 3 other comapanys . this was a 3 ton system capable of 1200 CFM with perfect static pressure. it was actually only producing 855 CFM. We made 1500 bucks worth of duct modifications and guess what ? the undersized system works great .
    good luck on finding a duct-oligists we are a dying breed .

Post Likes
    Hittman, I understand what you are saying. I'll make sure they fix the leak if it's low on refrigerant. I know all about people charging for the summer and not worrying about where the leak is.

Robinair, any reccomendations as where to look? I'm in Houston. Seems like I'd have a decent shot at finding a good one.

Post Likes
    Try Central City Air.

Post Likes

air balance

wayne call me mobile at 713 418 0181 24/7 we are in the north west area of houston. thanks robin

Post Likes

Refilling freon every year

Hello,

Great forum here, just happened to come upon it.

I have a 23-25 year old GE home unit. After I bought the house 4 years back, I filled gas once, in 2002. Now it looks like we are short again (not cooling enough/at all, plus the local HVAC tech checked it out). I talked to my neighbor whose house was built the same time, and he said he just fills gas every year.

My options appear to be:
    1. Keep filling gas every year or two
    2. Run a leak test and try to find the leak
    3. Replace the whole system including the line set

What do y'all suggest?
    Is there any harm to kids with the leak? I know environmentally it is not good. The leak test is not guaranteed to find the leak, so that's not a sure thing.

Thanks for your responses.

Post Likes
    Do yourself a favor and have a good contractor look at your home and system. He should be able to nail it down close to the dollar as to your potential savings. You may be able to get a system for free or darn near with the low interest rates and energy savings.

JMO

Post Likes

Thanks..

Thanks doc for the response. I assume you are talking about getting an estimate for a new system? If so, yes, I have the local utility company guy coming in to give me an estimate.

Post Likes

Re: Thanks..

Originally posted by mikeym
    Thanks doc for the response. If so, yes, I have the local utility company guy coming in to give me an estimate.
    Do yourself a favor and have a good contractor

I don't think the local utility guy is who Doc meant....but I'm sure he'll let you know.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

Any recommendations in NJ?

Well, i'm a non-HVAC techie here, so I wouldn't be able to tell who is good and who is not.. i assumed PSE&G would have capable folks..

Can anyone recommend a good contractor in Northern NJ for this kind of work (evaluating, installing, troubleshooting, etc)

Also if anyone can point me to the pros/cons of the brands/models such as York, Lennox, GE, etc (apologize if this is a newbie question)

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Around here, the utility companies did the very worst installs until.....

they got out of the hvac business

Post Likes
    Where in NJ? I know many Comm and Res people who can possibly help you out..........
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in