Sweating ducts and advice on new system

Confused

I have a 2 story home located in SC. The ground floor has a 16 year old Amana condenser that was added on to an even more ancient Marvair air handler. I have 2 q's: 1. On hot humid days there is a lot of condensate on my duct insulation. In places the insulation was wrapped very tight and it sweats the most there. How much condensate is normal(any?) under the circumstances. One heating man said I need more vents, another that I should close the vents altogether to avoid humid air coming in. 2. I am looking at replacing the entire system - would someone tell me an appropriate SEER value to choose for my area and whether I should definitely get variable speed air. What about 2 stage compression? I am getting a quote on a Goodman system, but I'm not sure Goodman makes a variable speed system for a crawl space application or has a 2 stage compression system. If you could guide me on what features are worth the money that would be helpful too. I am not interested in a lowball system, but I do want value. Thanks in advance - this is a super site!!!

goodman is cheap. what area are you in?

Originally posted by gmahler
    - this is a super site!!!
    Yep,this site is purty darn fine.

You should have no condensation on your ducts.None at all.
    The insulation being wrapped too tight is your problem.If it has been that way for very long ,then you will want change out that section of pipe.It will be rusted.

I am no salesman,but I will say that 2 stage furnaces with variable speed blowers are practical,but 2 stage compressors are not.

When you say,"crawlspace application",what do you mean?
    A split system with a horizonal unit that will go in crawlspace?

I think a heatpump might be the best,because it is the most economical choice.

Do you have a natural gas funace now?
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

I am in upper Northwest part of SC. Yes I have two split system heat pumps for each floor. One other point I want to mention is that I have for the last two years or so, been using high efficiency pleated filters. My contractor who has done other work and uses Goodman (he is working up an estimate for me) mentioned, and I see that there have been other discussions here about it, the high pressure drop across this type of filter. I've been combing through this site and I see a lot of negative vibes on Goodman. However they have the same warranty (or better - since they now have lifetime on compressor) than the much higher priced Tranes. Some posters seem to equate superiority with price. I just want to say the following: My experience with replacing an old Marvair unit some 6 years ago, that was still working (granted at low efficiency) with a Carrier Tech 2000 was not at all positive and this was not all installer problems. I also know that I have called Sears for estimates on vinyl siding, cabinet refacing and gotten 2-3 times the price quote for comparable and sometimes (exactly the same) work, so the notion that because something is more expensive, it has to be better doesn't always pan out. Finally, should I demand a load calculation, my installer is planning on replacing a 2.5 ton with a 2.5 ton. Thanks again!!

Originally posted by gmahler
    Finally, should I demand a load calculation, my installer is planning on replacing a 2.5 ton with a 2.5 ton. Thanks again!!
    Yes,I would think so.Maybe you could do it yourself with the program offered at this site(click on the bullseye at the top of the page)or convince your contractor to buy the the program.

As for "Goodman bashers",your comments are noted.Goodman quality will speak for itself.We dont have to defend it with these close minded heathens...