Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best way to charge or adjust split system.

Post Likes

I guess the name fits...

prodiyer...

Yesterday, he was a "pro"...

Today, he's just a "diy'er"

LMAO

Post Likes
    Are you adding freon for the lineset length over 15' plus freon for the evaporator coil? Doesn't the condenser come precharged for 15' of lineset and the coil?. In other words if you just had exactly 15' of lineset, you would not need to add any freon. That is the way I was taught.

Post Likes
    I add freon for the Linset over the 15'. As for the coil I used a 5 ton coil and a 4 ton condenser. The larger coil requires additional freon.

This is straight out of the manual tells you correct piston oriface and additional charge for each combination of Coil/Condenser

Post Likes
    Evac and let the charge go... NO MATTER WHAT!
    Then set the charge by SH or SC.

Never add refrigerant till you know (for sure) it's low on charge!

BTW, how is your unit running tonight? Do you have any new data for us to look at?

Post Likes
    First of all jultz, you said required subcooling is never found on the nameplate and you are wrong! I asked how do you determine what the required subcooling should be? If this is basic then you shouldnt have a problem answering it.

Post Likes
    First, I have 'never' seen 'SC data' on the equipment 'nameplate'.
    On the technical 'data sheet'? YES, but then again... why would someone look for a basic measurement (such as SC) on an air conditioner?

Did you not get your answer in your other thread?

And, if you are just testing me, you better get a tougher question!

Post Likes
    Im asking you because I dont know. What I got from the other post was 10 is the lowest. So whats the answer?

Post Likes
    Here is more on your question...Because I'm in a generous mood. LOL

"Thermostatic Expansion valves will work perfectly at a full liquid supply to it at very low pressures, but capillary tubes are dependent not only on a full liquid flow but also the pressure of that flowing refrigerant. So the subcooling may go quite a bit higher on capillary or flow-restriction devices than it will on the TXV.

The amount of subcooling for TXV systems may range between 10 and 15 deg. F. and this is perfect for the successful flow of liquid at the TXV and it should function perfectly unless you have extra long refrigerant lines leading to the evaporator or it is extremely high in elevation above the condenser. Every fully charged system will have subcooling.

Capillary tube systems may have 15 to 30 degrees subcooling when they are working right. Remember they are also dependent on the pressure of the refrigerant to "force" the liquid through a restrictor. Determine the correct refrigerant charge on them by relying more on the SuperHeat once you are in-range with the SubCooling."

Post Likes
    Thanks, I understand you should keep subcooling between 10 to 15. But what has me questioning is, I know Ive seen carrier units with required subcooling right on the nameplate. I belieave Ive seen some call for as low as 9 and some as high as 13. I guess I should of asked why one would call for 9 and another for 13. What determines the required subcooling?

Post Likes
    NOw that you mention a 4 ton and a 5 ton together, did you adjust for the difference in coil size?

When installing York, which is by weight only, they give adjustments for orifice AND the charge change due to using other than spec coil.

So if you used an a/h with a condensor, the matching a/h might be 69 orifice and 0 charge adjustment, but a cased coil on same cond would be a 70 orifice and 5 oz charge adjust PLUS the lineset adjustment.

I'm still trying to find this factor on Trane's literature.

And an extra thrown in, York has in their binder that stays in office, a sheet that shows adjusting the orifice based on lineset length and rise/fall. I've seen the sam chart for Bryant,too.

Of course, you could ask your factory rep about this and see if they have more tech literature that would shed some light .
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in