Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to charge or adjust split system.

Post Likes
    Yes I do

Post Likes
    If not on nameplate,then look under the out side cover for charging chart.

Post Likes
    then why cant you do this if you can pass that test
    you have to know how to charge a unit man

Post Likes
    Originally posted by pliscon
    Yeah Ok Prod... Me too. The subcooling value is not on the nameplate either..
    First, are you stating you are a regular homeowner and not a tech?

Second, the SC will never be on the equipment data plate!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by prodiyer
    I dont use anything. Im just a homeowner that is learning from this site. I belieave the units will give you the required subcooling on the nameplate. Good Luck
    Then why did you state this "Ive got it covered !" in a earlier post?!?!

And why, are you trying to help when there are 'true professionals' on this thread trying to help this guy?

Post Likes
    Hey duc read my post.. I know how to charge it I am trying to clarify why it is if you charge the system according to the manual.... Eh.. Read the post I have written it about 8 times. I have only used super heat to charge or adjust Freon.. Based on the OEM Chart for Heil or ICP equip.. this is the only chart I have found. I got this from a school put on by a local supplier. This chart is better than the dinky chart in the installation manual. it is more specific. We have been installing mainly Luxaire or York Equip, with some Heil, Bryant, and a couple goodman. If you read my post I am trying to clarify that I am charging the system correctly because if you follow what it says in manual which I have been told by techs for the manufacturer, and techs at various supply houses where I have bought equip is the way to do it, the system is overcharged most every time. I am trying to determine whether the manual way of doing it is wrong or mabye I am doing something wrong. I Post here for some clarification. If I knew everything I probably would not be asking questions.

Post Likes
    Jult

My ST is 44
    EST is 64
    IF this is actually correct, you have two figures that tell you everything you need to know about the systems charge!!!

That's a 20 degree drop in the suction line from the coil to the condenser!!!

This should tell you something! Now that it's pointed out to you, do you see something here?

Post Likes
    Hey jult I was being sarcastic to his stupid homeowner post I am a Tech and am looking for some help.. I appreciate all the help you are giving me. Seems Prod is just being a prick though.

Post Likes
    Stop adding for your lineset. What I was getting at is you cant trust the manufacturers charge. So you may or may not need to add for the lineset and evap. Pull your vacuum crack her loose and charge by superheat or subcooling.
    Read the last sentence in the paragraph above, THEN FOLLOW IT!!!

Post Likes
    How can that suction line lose that much temp between the evap and cond Shouldnt it be gaining temp?

Post Likes
    Bingo!!!

Now what would be the cause?
    I'll let you think a little so you will likely remember it for next time.

Post Likes
    Wait a minute I went back down to my airhandler Now it is 45 leaving the coil mabye I didnt wait long enough after taping my probe on. Let me check outside..

Post Likes
    Did you get it?

[Edited by jultzya on 07-05-2005 at 10:01 PM]

Post Likes
    Ok I re-checked it was 45 inside and 43 outside. Maybe I didnt have probe on tightly before.

Post Likes
    That's more like the correct temps... but is telling you of the same problem!

Post Likes
    Yeah I sent something did you get it?

Post Likes
    The little overflow or balancing line on the Txv is what I am talking about being brazed.
    That "balancing line" on a TXV is actually called an equalizing line. It is so the power head on the TXV will read the pressure of the evaporator at the evap outlet vs. what the pressure would be if the power head used the pressure at the evap inlet. This accounts for pressure drop through the evap coil and also allows the pressure being exerted on the power head to correspond with the superheat at the evap outlet.

By all means braze this line into place using material you're most comfy with. Better yet, use a tee with the proper size fittings. Sure beats punching or drilling a hole in the suction line, hoping to God any debris doesn't enter the system, and then hoping to God even more you don't burn the equalizer line in two when you braze it up. Oh yeah, and flow nitrogen when you braze.

Sorry about prodiyer going south on you. I kinda suspected with a handle like "prodiyer" and from his posts said we weren't dealing with a seasoned pro.

Also, I think the other guys are trying to say that if you're getting a lower suction line temp at the compressor than at the evap, you might have a suction line restriction. Rare, but it can happen. I would double check how I take the readings and ensure there's not something you're overlooking. If you're just two degrees off with the suction line being the one that is warmer, we're back to an overcharge situation.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    No not yet... try again.

Post Likes
    I know carrier on their high efficency units have required subcooling right on the nameplate at the outdoor unit. How do you determine what the required subcooling should be?

Post Likes
    I know carrier on their high efficency units have required subcooling right on the nameplate at the outdoor unit. How do you determine what the required subcooling should be?
    First you come here and try to act like a professional...

And now, you are asking basic refrigeration questions!

This can only get better...LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in