why a 50' 1/4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why a 50' 1/4

Mark, some days your just too nice.

And you've worked on more then 1 of those old PITA units.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

jultzya posted

OK, one more BOZO to the list!!

I asked for information to HELP you, you didn't offer any of the needed data...

You come here and state that you stopped back by and looked at the system and it was still cooling...
    And, if you think it's normal for the liquid line to sweat, then you are clueless! (and that's the FACTS!!)

Which says it all!! You need training, just like millerman said in the first reply!

my reply

You asked for information that :
    a) I had no access to, being I was not at site.
    b) I wasn't asking for charging information,if you read the post, you can see I was asking about the coil of liquid line.
    c) If I met the criteria for "bozo" I wouldn't be on this site asking questions and learning. I would be out in the field turning screws and throwing juice to systems, while making HVAC techs look like used car salesmen.
    d) the reason the liquid line is sweating, is probably what mark beiser is talking about, no insulation at all on the liquid line.
    e) I never made the statement that I didn't need more training, but all the community college courses in this area I have already taken. So now, it is out in the field and learn OTJ, and from this site.
    f) Just for an odd question, do you not consider a 15 to 20 degree drop across the evap, with a roughly 30 degree temp raise across the condensor to be adequately charged for an antique piece of equipment?

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Lennox used to use the liquid line as the metering device. Lennox called it the "RFC line". It isn't actually 1/4" copper. There are several sizes and lengths, depending
    [Edited by mark beiser on 07-05-2005 at 07:58 PM]
    Thank you. There was no insulation on the line at all. I have already told them if a major component fails they will need a complete system. The service valves are rusted and OD coil looks like someone flattened most of the fins. But, several years ago I pulled an old Sears unit out that was still functioning with 3" of concrete poured around the bootom of it's coils.
    Seems like the old ones take a licking and keep ticking.

Originally posted by stonewallred
    f) Just for an odd question, do you not consider a 15 to 20 degree drop across the evap, with a roughly 30 degree temp raise across the condensor to be adequately charged for an antique piece of equipment?
    I would say it has to be close,and with that type system the charge must be close to work properly.
    The way to know for sure is with the "superheat method"
    you can find out about it in the "for your interest section."

Did you take a wet bulb reading?what were your line temps?

You asked for information that :
    a) I had no access to, being I was not at site.
    Fine, that's cool... but, you could have said so. Judging by your post, I would say you didn't take them while you where there either!?

b) I wasn't asking for charging information,if you read the post, you can see I was asking about the coil of liquid line.
    No, but you need to check the 'data' that I asked for. And you 'wasn't sure' what was happening, but told the HO 'it's cooling now'!

c) If I met the criteria for "bozo" I wouldn't be on this site asking questions and learning.
    Then don't come off and say 'please' as in being condescending... while I offered to help you!

NO! You need to check ALL the required 'data'...PERIOD!

Came across an old 25+ Lennox HP today.
    This is a heatpump?

Alot of those flat lennoxx units still running here, and yes that 1/4 in. line was the metering device. I have changed the outdoor unit(only) and just reconnected the same metering tube and charged to superheat.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Hang in there Stonewallred, asking questions on this site will gain you a lot of wisdom even if some are to quick to judge. Jultzya I believe missed the point of your question and also the fact that some would not know about this. You can always count on Mark Beiser to give good information and in this case he may have taught Jultzya something.

Originally posted by beenthere
    And you've worked on more then 1 of those old PITA units.
    Heh, yeah, my first 7 years of service work were for a Lennox dealer that had been around since the '40s and another Lennox dealer that had been around since 1955 and had bought 2 other old time Lennox dealers. Also considder this was in Fort Worth Texas, where Lennox was the most common residential HVAC equipment installed in the 50's through the early 80's because most of it was manufactured in Fort Worth.

They sure don't build them now like they used to build those HS/HP 6 and 8 units, especially the ones with the Lennox compressor in them. High and low pressure controls, discharge temperature sensor, internal overload that breaks the control voltage, external overload that breaks the line voltage. 7 wires running into the terminal box cover on a single stage compressor confuses a lot of people.
    Then there were the 2 speed HS/HP 11 units with all the electromachanical controls, 11 pole 2 stage contactor with electrical and mechanical interlocks, compressor protection module, current limiting thermister ,a few relays, defrost controlled by time, air pressure and 2 different refrigerant line temperatures, and 3 miles of wire.
    I can understand how someone who wasn't used to them would considder them a PITA.
    I was so used to those units and Lennox's wiring nomenclature that the simplicity of other brands of units just seemed wrong to me for a long time, lol.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Never worked for a Lennox dealer, so your right, they always seemed to have made every thing too complicated as far as I was concerned.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by jultzya
    NO! You need to check ALL the required 'data'...PERIOD!
    [/B]
    you are correct on checking all data points
    should have

I was very confused one day. I looked at one and don't remember why, but there was a ton of oil on the coiled liquid line above the furnace.

The reason I was confused was the unit didn't apear to be short refrigerant. I asked the customer if anything had happened recently and he said no. I told him that I can't understand why so much oil and no charge problem.

He said he oiled the line. He had no basis for it, just thought it would be a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12