Thread: new downflow system

Post Likes
    Have a need to install new downflow equipment in a mobile home. It presently has a downflow three-ton gas furnace, matching coil with three-ton condensing unit. All Coleman.
    Anybody know of any problems or reasons I cannot replace the Coleman equipment with another brand, say Goodman or whatever?
    Looking for a "heads-up" before I order the equipment. Project in So. Calif.
    Thanx,
    Tom

Post Likes
    It must be specifcally made for mobile home,and it will be helpful if the dimensions of the cabnet are close to being identical.

Post Likes
    1. Before installing the new furnace, clean the surface of the cooling real good and make sure it is sealed so all the air goes THRU it instead of bypassing some AROUND it thru cracks.

2. Now is the time to consider a stronger blower/motor in the selection of your new furnace if airflow has been minimal in your mobile home.

Post Likes
    Must be certified for a trailer installation!

The only companies I'm aware of that are manufacturing products for trailers are...

Coleman, Miller, and Thermopride.
    (and of coarse the sister names to these)

Post Likes
    go with a package unit

Post Likes
    'Go with a packaged unit'

ME: In most cases, they are suject to bugs getting into the Contactor , pilot , etc.. ; If i had a Mobile Home, id stick with a split system. (id most likely put in a horizontal 90 plus 2-pipe furnace in the crawl with 14 seer a/c unit)

Post Likes
    Learn how to use the quote feature, leave the ME routine over at usenet
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    I suggested a package unit because most mobile home blowers are very loud.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Originally posted by prodiyer
    I suggested a package unit because most mobile home blowers are very loud.
    Package unit is likely to have better air flow as well.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by prodiyer
    go with a package unit
    Bingo!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Carnak
    He's not wanted over there either... LOL

Post Likes
    'Learn how to use the quote feature, leave the ME routine over at usenet
    '

ME: This is an instance when you SHOULD be more tolerant . I shall reply to a post by the method that suits my choice ; if it doesnt meet with your approval, dont respond to me. Here is what the Moderator encourages people in here to do...give it a try and you wont appear so unfriendly, rude, and jerkish :

"Thank you for participating in HVAC-Talk! Together, with your help, we are building a fun place to learn and to just hang-out with friends!
    Thanks again
    BC1 "

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    Must be certified for a trailer installation!

The only companies I'm aware of that are manufacturing products for trailers are...

Coleman, Miller, and Thermopride.
    (and of coarse the sister names to these)
    Must be certified for a trailer is correct but there are other brands with sealed combustion that now are certified for mobile homes including Trane and York. The problem is unless you are going to tear out all the ducts and start over the blowers will not handle the static pressure required by trailer home duct systems. If you are going to use the existing ductwork choose the brands that Jultzya suggested and do not try any other brand unless you like headaches.

Post Likes
    Somewhere I read that Goodman package unit is certified for a mobile installation. I could be wrong but it would be worth your while to look it up on their web site on the the front of one of their installation manuals.

(reached over an opened a Goodman Products Catalog) Page 26 fro a PHKJ Series package unit and says "..and is approved for manufactured or modular homes."

Looks like most if not all their residential package units have the same wording.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes

Which one lets you know what you are talking about

ME:

Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by Carnak
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in