Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I had a new system installed consisting on the large Unico air handler in the attic (the home has hot water heat and hence no duct work) and a Trane 14i 5 ton compressor. The installers are known for being one of the best in our area. The installation crew (4 guys) did all the work in 4 days!

Today was a hot one (90 degrees) and I couldn't seem to get the house under 78 degrees all day. I used a infared thermometer in the attic and it was 130 degrees up there. When I checked the air coming out of the tube-holes (not sure what they call them - little round 4 inch holes in ceiling) in the ceiling, it was 78 dgrees.

Shouldn't the air temperature be colder than that? I checked the air conditioning in my car and it was 60 degrees.

I live in Ohio along the lake and was wondering if my experience today is normal.

I thought I bought the best unit available based on my issues.

Any adice or comments welcome. Thanks in advance. Bugs

sounds like you need to call the contractor and have them check it out. just what is wrong or to guess would not be fair to them.

First the moderators aren't going to like the subject title and may delete the thread, this is a no price forum.

Was the outdoor unit running.
    How many outlets do you have, the 4" things.
    Should have atleast 30 for your 5 ton unit.
    How long has the system been in.
    If its under warranty have you called them yet.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Senior Tech Guest
    Need a lot more info but my first advice would be call them and have them check it...78F is to warm...

Sorry for the price issue.

Yes the compressor has been running all day.

There are exactly 30 of the duct ports.

The system has been installed as of last summer/fall. It has a 10 year warranty but I wanted to get some input before I called them so I would understand their response as well as to make sure I was getting the right response.

Thanks,

bugs

Give them the same info you gave us, and they should be able to take it from there.

Too mnay possiblities for us to gave you things to ask.

One question, have you changed, or cleaned your air filter lately.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for the input. As far as the filter, it's one of the electronic filters that I just cleaned about a month ago.

I went up into the attic a few moments ago and noticed a white frost ice around the tube that goes into the coil area. Is that normal after running all day?

Is it safe to say that the 78 degree is not normal coming out of the outlets? What would be the normal temperature coming out of the outlets?

Thanks for any advice.

Bugs

The white frost is not normal for your indoor temp. And if they hooked up the freeze stat, your outdoor unit is shutting down periodically to protect it, and prevent the coil from becoming a solid block of ice.

Usually between 25 and 30° cooler then return temp.
    Contractor locator map

should not see ice anywhere. shut off compressor and just run indoor blower. call for service, let them know what you saw and did.

Originally posted by bugs
    Thanks for the input. As far as the filter, it's one of the electronic filters that I just cleaned about a month ago.

I went up into the attic a few moments ago and noticed a white frost ice around the tube that goes into the coil area. Is that normal after running all day?

Is it safe to say that the 78 degree is not normal coming out of the outlets? What would be the normal temperature coming out of the outlets?

Thanks for any advice.

Bugs
    Its "freezing up"....

You have bad airflow or leaking refrigerant.

Call your contractor ASAP..

And turn the system off now ........
    It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

And throw that damn 'electrostatic' filter in the TRASH!

Maybe I used the wrong term. The filter is a Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner (F52F). It was pretty expensive.

What should I have used in place of it?

Thanks for any input,

Bugs

While I'm not a fan of electronic air cleaners, if kept washed, they are not restrictive of airflow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast