Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice- HP just went up & it's being replaced tomorrow

Post Likes
    While I appreciate sarcasm as much as anyone yv, yours had no substance. If any of it was for my benefit then please point out any factual errors on my part and I'll gladly recant. I don't think you can. Not everyone drinks the new equipment hustling Kool-Aid.

Post Likes
    Irascible so you also go by the name drk? I don't see how you think I was talking about you, or may be the follow up post is the one you are referring to?

Post Likes
    LOL. Nope. Excuse the misunderstanding. We'll tango another time.

Post Likes
    To many people or worried the duct will not handle the extra air flow! Their are not many out their that will not!!! Most people need to grow up!!!!

Steve , you beat me to it but I was thinking the same thing

to many people ARE worried the duct will not handle the extra air flow

There are not many out there that will not!

Most people need to grow up---

Dear mr FRAMING contractor

There is a good reason that to many people are worried the duct will not handle the air flow-----THERE ARE MANY THAT WILL NOT AND YOU ARE NOT GAINING A THING BY DOING SO!

You are a framing contractor---do a manual D

most people need to ask a question and listen to the answers these people gave you , they are not telling you how to pound nails or salt

Post Likes
    Thanks for the good advice.
    I cancelled the replacement this morning (the guy who didn't even do a leak test) and called the company I've dealt with in the past (which was too busy to come out yesterday). I've taken your advice to slow down (and do it right)- though it's tough to overcome the impulse to get cold as quickly as possible.

Thank you again- didn't mean to step on any toes.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tobnpr
    I've taken your advice to slow down (and do it right)- though it's tough to overcome the impulse to get cold as quickly as possible.
    An excellent move. Please come back and let us know what the second opinion says.

Post Likes
    Yes. Let us know. The old pros here are too senile to remember anything past this morning. And the young ones have an equally hard time due to the brain damage caused by the TV and the MTV. It'll be like starting over.

Post Likes
    Second tech came out this morning and found the compressor had grounded out. His explanation was that the system had lost all refrigerant, and lacking a low-pressure automatic shutoff (or something like that!)it fried. Guess I'll never know if it was the accumulator that leaked (as the first guy suspected but didn't check to be sure). He asked if I just wanted to "get by"- meaning he'd find me a used compressor and hook it up- on the "side", of course! I wonder how many jobs get lost to the contractor because his guys flip them like this ( but that's another subject I guess)...

I told him no, that I wanted to do it "right". He and his service manager both told me that they sell Goodman, but recommended I spend the extra dollars and go with Lennox. In their opinion, Goodman is a "lower-end" product and not something I should put into my own home I'm going to be spending the next fifteen years in. I will not discuss price (!), but they will be installing a 3-ton, 13 seer Lennox compressor tomorrow, with replacement of the air handler next week. Fortunately I have a linen closet directly below where the existing attic handler is mounted so we're going to put it there.

I do have one more question- I noticed that the ductwork in the attic (flex) has the outer plastic vapor barrier deteriorated to a point where it has fallen off most of the ductwork. There is an inner plastic vapor barrier still intact; does this need to be replaced?

Thanks again for helping me do the right thing...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tobnpr
    they will be installing a 3-ton, 13 seer Lennox compressor tomorrow, with replacement of the air handler next week. Fortunately I have a linen closet directly below where the existing attic handler is mounted so we're going to put it there.

I noticed that the ductwork in the attic (flex) has the outer plastic vapor barrier deteriorated to a point where it has fallen off most of the ductwork. There is an inner plastic vapor barrier still intact; does this need to be replaced?
    How did they know you need a 3 ton system? Before you approve the installation they should do a heat loss calculation to insure that is the right size.

Your installation contract should include replacement of the lineset and any deteriorated ductwork, along with a leak check of all ductwork.

Post Likes
    Travis is right of course. But given the timing it likely won't happen. At least you're not upsizing for no apparent reason as seemed to be the case before.

Side work is indeed another topic. As far as I'm concerned that technician is a thief. I understand the reluctance to do so. But personally I'd inform his boss. I am my brother’s keeper. When I know a wrong is being committed I'm responsible to do something about it when I can. I've never had employees. So this isn't personal. It's principle.

BTW: How did we go from only having a leak to now having a grounded compressor? Sheesh. Contractors these days...

Post Likes
    they are replacing a three ton for a three ton

Post Likes
    Originally posted by drk
    they are replacing a three ton for a three ton
    http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html

"In the Model Energy Communities Project, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) found that 53% of the air conditioners checked were a ton (12,000 Btu/h) or more oversized and a study by Pacific Northwest Laboratories found a third of the air conditioners to be a ton or more oversized."

Post Likes
    This oversizing claim is a big load of crap. Oversized for what? The house? Who are we to tell a homeowner how cool he/she can be? They are paying the bill right?

Now I agree a system can be oversized for the ductwork....
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Who are we to tell a homeowner how cool he/she can be?
    Your right, it's ultimately the customers choice whether to oversize or not.

We should not just offer "cool" we should offer comfort, and comfort is cool and dry. And let's not ignore how comfortable it is to save a few bucks, each month and down the road.

We should educate homeowners so they can make an informed decision and not an ignorant one.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    This oversizing claim is a big load of crap.
    Hi Steve.

Got a citation for that statement?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tobnpr
    [B]Second tech came out this morning and found the compressor had grounded out.

they will be installing a 3-ton, 13 seer Lennox compressor tomorrow, with replacement of the air handler next week.

no way i would install a new unit on a system that shorted out a compressor then come back a week later to do air handler. any contaminants from old system start destroying new compressor from the start. if total system can't be done til next week, then come up with temp cooling or go on a vacation.

Post Likes
    Hi tobnr,
    I have been doing installs & service on systems in central FL for 13 years.This contractor is not doing you right.First,never have the CU bigger than the AHU.Second,it is poor pratice to match a new high efficiency unit with a older low efficiency unit.It would be wise to go ahead & get a new matching AHU at the same time.Due to your existing ductwork & it being a zoned system go with the same size as your present equipment.I would advise getting more bids.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Your ductwork needs to be replaced, i am ashamed the contractor did not take the time to look in the attic.

I would pass on this contractor and look for another!

The ductwork is driving up your electric bill big time!
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    The customer should decide what indoor temperature they want,ie 75 versus 78°F,and then install the correct size to maintain that.Use Manual J/equivilent and you'll have the right size,assuming you use Man. S to selecct the system.

Sized larger than that is ,just the wrong thing to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in