Ductwork/efficiency

Red face

I live in a mobile home with central air. Lately, the a/c doesn't seem to keep it cool enough (below 76) when the temp outside gets in the mid 80s to 90.
    Someone asked me if the filter was dirty. Well I guess I have none, unless it's underneath somewhere. Each room has at least one return duct with a 18" square one in the kitchen. Is that where the filter should be? below the register? since it has been operating without one, what needs to be cleaned now?
    I know little about central a/c, but would like to do something simple if I can, before calling in a serviceman.

thanks for your help. enjoy the holiday!

Give us the brand and model number of the furnace.

Think your better just calling a service man......if it didnt have a filter, which it probably doesnt. It will probably have to be gone through to clean out. I just dont think you are going too solve it on line tho. coil might be totally plugged and it that case you might be wrecking your unit by running it. CALL A TECH

i agree,it's time for a tune-up.....and maybe they can get you some sort of filtering for your unit.

I will..thanks. In the mean time I got a filter to put in the intake register.

Thanks again all!!

Originally posted by dchuey
    I will..thanks. In the mean time I got a filter to put in the intake register.

Thanks again all!!

Most of the time MH units are made to have the filter fit into the door of the furnace. Coleman units usually use a wire assembly to hold the filter in place.

Thanks, but it's a separate unit.
    I put a filter in the register intake and will call to set up a service. thanks!

"Well I guess I have none, unless it's underneath somewhere."
    It could be in the door as Norm said. If your furnace is located in an outside closet then the filter is probably in the blower compartment.

"Each room has at least one return duct with a 18" square one in the kitchen."
    I have to assume that you meant each room has a supply vent. If every single room had a return vent then it's not likely that the filters would be located in the return vent. It would most likely be located at the furnace.

"since it has been operating without one, what needs to be cleaned now? "
    IF it has been without a filter for a while then you MAY or may not need to clean the blower and/or evaporator coil. Id suggest taking a look at the before and after if they do clean the coil and/or blower. Don't let them bamboozle you into duct cleaning, especially on a mobile home.

"I put a filter in the register intake and will call to set up a service."
    I assume that the intake was designed to hold a filter? See if you can't get references or something to assure you that you're getting a good contractor. There are more bad ones that good ones IMO.

I think what you might have is a package A/C unit that sets outside and is connected to your ducts under the trailer. If this is the case, and they ran more than one return the filter is most likely outside at the unit. We install these systems with one return and a filter in it. You probaly have a dirty filter or a dirty coil because there is no filter so try to find were the filter should be first.

The service guy just came. No filter at the intake was the problem because he found a nice 1 1/2 inch blanket of fluff on the coil!

thanks for all the advice...
    Keep cool!