Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Arrow

I have an old (may be 10 yr) all electric central AC. Recently blower quit working intermittently. Can you help me diagonose the problem?

Symptoms-
    Outside line become frozen. No air is blowing inside.

Action required to get to working:
    Let the outside line defrost. Changed the capacitor (recently). As soon as I turn on the fan makes noise but it does not move. Turn of the power switch. Manually spin the fan (just a push like you would be doing to get started manual shift car!) and turn on the power switch. All works for few days/weeks until the symptoms come back again.

I am not a tech or engg and I can only do the simple stuff like the one described avobe.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with the AC/Fan? Why do I have to push start the Fan?

Post Likes
    It's broke.

Post Likes
    call your service tech to fix it

Post Likes
    you need a new blower motor plain and simple you could leave you fan switch on on but thats a band aid for a while only

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Edmund- Thanks for the honest and clear answer. I just called my tech to have the blower motor replaced. Regardless of cost I have to fix it. It's too hot!!

By the way, do you have a ballpark idea how much it might cost?

Post Likes
    no priceing different areas have different prices

Post Likes
    And keep in mind... if you keep running the system to where the indoor fan stops and it freezes up... you risk serious damage to your compressor!!

Post Likes
    Good chance Edmund is right but it could be a bad fan relay also, the tech who goes out to your home will be the one to tell you the exact problem though.
    Good luck

[Edited by hiltontech on 07-04-2005 at 09:41 PM]

Post Likes
    he said spin it and it would run no relay will do that

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Your right Edmund , I misread the post, blower motor seems at fault.
    Thanks Edmund for catching my mislead post

Post Likes
    You're a funny guy Hilton. If mkr55 takes your price to heart and doesn't understand how business works then you just sabotaged mkr55's contractor's chances of making mkr55 happy. Maybe that's why pricing questions aren't allowed. Nice.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Maybe a good time for me to go over the rules

Post Likes
    You're alright Hilton dude. Hopefully mkr55 understands that HVAC contractors can't make a living on Wal-Mart like margins.

Post Likes
    You know it's funny you brought up Wal-Mart because I beleive they will one day soon get into the HVAC business too,I can see it now, on isle 22 you'll see all brands of units offering free installation, hell they sell everything else, in fact last year on one of the larger news networks they were talking about W\M trying to get involved in selling cars, thats scary, we have a W\M Superstore that will open this month, the local business ppl here tried everything they could to stop them from locating here but loss.
    HomeDepot got involved in HVAC now Wal-Mart?

[Edited by hiltontech on 07-04-2005 at 10:10 PM]

Post Likes
    troyorr bar7 Grow up

Post Likes
    Hey drk. Let me give you a vowel. Here is an O. Now your name is dork. Thanks for your professional advice.

Post Likes
    Good point Ed, but he did say he turned off the switch. Could be the relay!!!! Spinning the fan may have nothing to do with it starting.

Post Likes
    That being said mkr, if it is a goodman i'll say i'm 95% sure its the fan switch. Replace them all the time so I keep three on my truck at all times!!

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I liked all the discussion. My tech is like a friend. Of course, I have to pay for his time and I don't have a problem with it. He would never suggest for unnecessary parts replacement. I know he profits from the parts but it is so reasonable I never had to bargain.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

dexman- what is your rational behind the fan/blower switch being bad? I have tested(with fan switch being ON) the circuit with a tester(60-120 volt, this one is from Wall-mart!!) and the current/electricity is passing through the lines/capacitor. So, I have hard time to accept your answer.

Any explanation would help me to understand your rational. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in