In these parts (GA), most 2 story homes have separate systems for first floor and second floor. The a/c for the first floor is in the basement and the a/c for the second floor is in the attic. Basement seems better since it's cooler.

Why wouldn't they put both the first and second floor units in the basement - seems like it's easier on the system (and easier on the service tech)? One ofmy firends told me it might have to do with running ducts from the basement to the second floor but I didn't understand.

Originally posted by joeyjoey
    One ofmy firends told me it might have to do with running ducts from the basement to the second floor but I didn't understand.
    Probably so.

It takes energy to move air from point-A to point-B.
    Also,duct works require space that might not be available.

easier to drop cold air into 2nd floor from attic than to push cold air up from basement. also the space that would be required for duct work

Its done with package units, and is done with split systems also, people just don't want to give up one inch of space for duct or access to equipment.

Of course, they're sorry x years later when the unit craps out and we drag that nasty,wet,rusty coil all through the house out a closet access.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated