Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sheesh. It's literally been years since I've heard like "You were a little low on Freon, I put some in to 70-75 lbs.". I had forgotten how utterly ignorant people can be of their own profession.

Excuse the wild goose chase ablib. The things I was talking about were useful primarily in situations where you're truly stumped. Being an owner/operator myself, I had assumed he had a basic set of skills. But this guy isn't stumped. He's a hack. Please feel free to tell him as much and give him my phone number. My assumption was that he knew enough to at least get it close. Even I could skip superheat/subcooling measurement and get a charge somewhat close with a set of gauges and my hands. But this guy isn't even that smart.

I'm sure you're overcharged now. But I'm skeptical that correcting the charge will take care of it. You most likely started with a factory charge, which while not perfect it would have probably been close. Let us know what happens ablib.

It wasn't that hot today, mid to low 80's maybe, so it was reletively cool in my Apt. I had it set at 72 and the A/C still wouldn't turn off to get it to 72. It would just hover between 73 & 74 all day. Maybe 75. Still it was only like 8 degrees or less cooler inside than outside. No matter where I set the thermostat it won't shut off. Even if I set it at 80 the A/C will run all day to fight to keep it at 80 because during the day the air coming from the supply is between 70 & 72 degrees. 55 to 60 degrees at night.

So I didn't call today knowing that he would come, find it cool in my apt and tell me nothings wrong.

Tomorrow, I don't care what the temp is. Thanks to all the support I've recieved here, I'm compiling a list of things I want done. And sending it to the landlord and techie. Even the duct blaster test. (For laughs, I guess) Surely the landlord will be on my side because I'm sure he doesn't want to replace all these A/C's in 5 years or so with his own money. Because the problem didn't get fixed now.

You've got a good case to make. But of course the landlord may be proned to thinking that you're a malcontent. And the tech may dismiss anyone that's not a professional. You might consider e-mailing the owner and/or the tech a link to this thread.

PLEASE send them the link. It would be too much fun.

SHOPHOUND & IRRACIBLE

I'm a newbie and just read both your obviously educated & seasoned replies to this thread 'cause I had the exact complaint today on one of our recent install's of a condencsing unit.This cust said he always sets his stat at 68,but his complaint was the unit won't shut off til very late at night.Did my "check the box readings" and they all seemed fine along with the 20 f temp split and 14 f superheat(if my cheap temp probe is accurate.Indoor temp was 71.I told him the same thing the hack you were talking about told his guy.I told him 95 outside and 71 inside was as good as it was going to get for him.
    My only question relates to how you both concluded his system was overcharged 'cause I didn't see any readings of the superheat.There's no chance of my system today being overcharged with 14 f superheat is there?Thats just a silly question right?I have no air-flow hoods,I'm new, not a hack...changed his average dirty pleated filter,told him to move his t-stat 2 degrees higher and mayber switch to a less efficient filter.Was that competent advice & service from a newbie,or am I heading to hackvile?

Shop didn't know at first. He made an educated guess. I wasn't even going there until I heard "You were a little low on Freon, I put some in to 70-75 lbs.". That statement made everything crystal clear. It should be clear to you as well now that you've read it again. You don't charge to a particular suction pressure. His tech also said that "that's where these systems need to be", which is laughable. They don't need to be anywhere except where proper charging procedure puts them.

Based on what you've said I see little chance of an overcharge unless you have a TXV - and even then it's unlikely. In fact, 14 degrees superheat could be a bit undercharged under certain conditions. It could be fine as well. It depends on the charging chart. If you have a TXV then you should check subcooling before you conclude what the charge is like.

75 and 97 is design conditions for my area. So his 71 and 95 sounds entirely reasonable. But that's just an educated guess. You should find out what design conditions are for your area. As far as I'm concerned telling him to turn it up (or at least to be happy with what he's getting) and to put in a cheapie filter was good advice for the time being. You've done everything you've been trained to and are equipped to do.

Since you're on this forum and willing to subject yourself to the scrutiny of a bunch of self-righteous know-it-alls, my other educated guess is that you're not headed to Hackville.

P.S.: You spelled my screen name wrong.

[Edited by Irascible on 07-07-2005 at 02:14 AM]

thanks irascible!I've been learning a lot from you guys.I don't post very much 'cause there's not much advice I can give anyone here, but I do get on every night and read and learn.I do post when I have a specific question.Thanks again, and I can tell when I'm reading who really knows what their talking about and who needs to pipe down and just read like I am.

Excuse my ignorance, thought you were the original poster of this thread.

[Edited by the dangling wrangler on 07-07-2005 at 08:41 AM]

I wasn't the original poster of this thread.Just happened to have an exact situation on the same day.

At almost 1400 sq. ft. I'd say your unit is under-sized, if I had to guess without specs I'd say you need a 3 ton instead of the smaller two ton.

UPDATE:

I faxed a letter to the landlord and techie explaining what I wanted done. Suggesting all that was suggested here. I even mentioned that if all of this checks out OK then a 2 ton unit was undersized.

Keep in mind that all the Ac's here are the same 2 ton units. Downstairs and upstairs.

When techie came out I overheard techie tell the landlord that I'm "crazy", it's 70 in the apartment now, it's cooling fine. He's not going to waste his time finding delivered tonnage or ductwork efficency because the unit is cooling fine. He said he was going to put in a 2.5 ton unit to "shut me up" even though the 2 ton was oversized for the 1350sq ft apt. The landlord seemed to agree with him. Later landlord tells me that it's cool in here and every time techie comes it's cool in here. And basically my needs of 70 degree temps are outrageous. I explained that I set it to 68 during the night so the Apt stays cooler longer during the day. And that of course it's always cool when techie comes he always comes at 9 in the morning when it's only 80 outside. I told the landlord that also.

Upgrading to a 2.5 ton unit when there could be a real problem isn't fixing the problem. Or did he just upgrade the unit because he knew the 2 ton was too small?

What do you pros think of this?

[Edited by ablib on 07-13-2005 at 01:20 PM]

Why not move out?

It's looking that way.

Moving cost alot of money. Something I'm tired of doing. Especially only a month after I've moved in. I'm hoping at sometime either the landlord or the techie will do the right thing.

Also moving out is giving up. Losing. I hate losing.

You are talking about a complete system , correct? Not just a 2.5 condensing unit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast