Confused Single zone central ac unit for ranch with boiler heat?

I have a 1950s 1500sqft ranch with a munchkin boiler installed recently. The house has only ever had window ac units. There is a 20+ year old 18k btu unit in my dining room (middle of my house) that cools the whole house no problem. I would like to upgrade to a more efficient unit due to high electric bills. I would like central ac or something similar but don't know what to call it or search for. Because of my boiler I would need ducting, but would like to have a single blower or vent under my dining room window where my old ac unit is instead of messing around in my attic. The attic has 15" or so isulation, all my doors and half my Windows are new. The other half will be replaced when I do new siding this year or next. Can anybody help send me in the right direction for what I'm looking for? Iwas thinking something along the lines of what they have in hotel rooms but without heat and the condenser mounted outside like central ac.
    thanks for your time,
    Ryan

No links to direct purchase sites allowed
    I was thinking something similar to this, but don't know what my other options or best option is.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-07-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: removed link

if you have the space for a system in the attc, that is probably your best option. the single unit may cool the entire house but you will likely be happier with the operation of a ducted system. it may be a little cheaper to have the ductless system installed, but the money spent on the ducted system would be well worth it
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley

A ductless split seems to be what you are describing. Do you have a basement?

Find the right company and they'll give you all the information and options you should need to get the system you want. Mind you, the right company will NOT be the cheapest on price. Quality (company, equipment, dinner) costs more.

I've provided some information (attached) to help you become an informed shopper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    A ductless split seems to be what you are describing. Do you have a basement?
    yes, I have a full unfinished basement.
    I have had moisture problems since I've been here and thought a good ac unit might help remove some of the moisture as well. I am now using two 45pint cheapo dehumidifiers that barely keep it below 50%RH, they are set to 40% and I only see it get that low in the winter. I have been looking into getting a single large dehumidifier and keeping one small one as a spare in the back corner of my basement.

My current ac unit is mounted below my dining room window. Every single ductless system I've seen is mounted towards the ceiling which makes sense but the window goes up to high for me to place it above. Can the piping be ran through the basement and placed on the opposite wall or just put under the window?

I don't really want to cool the bedrooms or kitchen as much as dining room and living room which is why I want to place a single duct there. I am kinda tight on cash and we got by this long with a single window type unit for 10 years anything will be an upgrade. I am just looking to save some cash on energy bills and be about as comfortable in the summer as my old unit.

thanks for the replies

Sorry for posting the link. Anybody have anything to add?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

Are you heating with gas, or LP?

Gas, I live in the city.

Bump

Ductless splits are really nice units, but they are not cheat in my area. An air handler, condenser and ductwork in thw basement may be a little less expensive and will get you all your rooms cooled.