Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trane XL14i

Irascible,

Yesterday was my first on this forum, which is great because of professionals like you. I and others appreciate your time.

For the record when most homeowners like me ask questions it is not to position ourselves to lecture the people we hire to perform services it is to educate ourselves so that we may understand the issue.

I don't understand people like this j-bill person, however based on his inappropriate comments I would not trust his ability to install a window fan in my house.

Keep up the good work.

Exactly right. You didn't come off as pushy and no one said anything about banging your technician over the head with a printout of this thread.

In Bill's defense his comments are entirely appropriate for some homeowners. And no doubt he's experienced the customer who second guesses every one of his moves. So perhaps he's sensitive to such things. I just didn't see how it applied to this thread.

In any event, don't let that stop you from asking about his garbage internet theory regarding the discharge line. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. And his garbage could be right.

Originally posted by hrc
    I would not trust his ability to install a window fan in my house.
    0 My God!!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Irascible: My point is your trying to plant a bad install possibility to this "known to be unreasonable hmo",is a perfect set up to ride the contractor before any diagnois is complete,no disrespect on you,but thats the way i've see it. Alot of times more than not, its just simple crap causing the noisy unit. and hrc thank you, i can't install the window fan GOOD LUCK!

Let me make it clear: this is not an effort to blame the installer, I have used this company for the last 22 years, the owner lives two streets from me, I am only trying to get info so that they will not have to answer any unnecessary questions. This is a very busy time for them, reality is: the install could incorrect, the unit maybe defective, this maybe a typical situation, I could be oversensitive. Irascible is only providing info, you y-bill overreacted.

Irascible,if wed ever gets here I will let you know the outcome.
    Homer

I understand what you're saying Bill. I think our differences are in matter of degree and not principle. I don't think I've made any attempt to evaluate the install. I'm a service tech trying to troubleshoot a very specific problem. That's one aspect of an install, not the whole shebang. YOU even contributed help in that regard.

In fact, I even said the following before you joined:
    "Anywho, don't bang them over the head with this thread. I could be off my rocker. You could have unreasonable noise expectations. We don't know yet."

The Trane technician verified pressures, line temperature, amperages, valve, structural integrity and found no problems. He agreed that the 1.5 unit was noisier than the 2.5, called his supervisor and was told that the compressor would be replaced. Is there some other characteristic that should have been measured. I am suprised that they will replace the compressor, the unit is only a week old.

By checking line temperature I would assume that means he checked subcooling, which would be an important number in determining an overcharge.

I'm not sure where else to go with this. To be perfectly frank I haven't had much opportunity to check noisy compressors just because it doesn't come up often (at least it hasn't for me).

It's a different size and might even be a different type of compressor. And it's installed in a different way by virtue of the furnace location. So it will naturally sound different. That it sounds louder than the other is odd. But without hearing the sound and checking it myself I can't come up with anything brilliant. Maybe Bill can help.

Be happy that we know they're committed to solving the problem. Replacing a compressor is no small deal. So at least they're supporting their product. And it may very well be that you just have a bad compressor. My then new Chevy van had a very noisy power steering pump right off the lot. They replaced it and all has been well.

Talked to the service manager after the tech left, he said that they very seldom get a noise complaint with these units but when they do changing the compressor corrects the issue. He did confess that some customers don't even know that they have a heat pump or where it is located.
    Must be a tolerance stack-up condition. I have had good luck with this company and they are never the least expensive.
    Thanks

I don't think this has been addressed:

The 1.5 ton is a recip, the 2.5 ton is a scroll. Recips, especially the old Climatuff and more so with Mexican production, are noisy. Even with the sound blanket, the recip will make more noise than a scroll. Usually not heard inside but only right at the unit. Friend of mine has the A-S version of the XL14i and it is NOT as quiet as A-S/Trane would have you believe. Before changing compressors and accomplishing nothing, I suggest the dealer take you to another 1.5 ton 14i and see if it is any different.

I will see if I can set that up, if it is not going to help no need to touch it. Are you saying that the 1.5 ton compressor is made in Mexico and may not be the same quality? I guess I understand why the 1.5 compressor looks larger than the other since they are different designs. I assume A-S and Trane have the same compressors.

I alluded to it above Baldy but didn't get into it because I can't ever keep straight which one's have recips and which are scroll, which are American which are Mexican, which are "seconds" and which aren't. It takes a genius of your level to know all that!

If we really are talking Mexican units and "seconds" then I could buy the notion that replacing the compressor might do the trick. If quality control isn't what it should be (as you've alluded to in other threads) then the second time might be the charm.

I have been an engineer in the solid rocket business for 22 years but you guys make my head swim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast