Thread: lookin for some advice

Post Likes
    im 20 yr. old punk, with a gas ticket and signed up as refrigeration apprentice. im entering my 4th year in the biz.. being 20 it dosent give me much oppurtunity to work with ppl my age or younger than me. i work with a few 30-35 year olds sometimes that have no schooling and maybe a year or 2 experience. these dudes have one thing though which is senority over me. they're attitude is bad thinking there way is the best way, i dont need to listen to this 20 year old (i've seen it in action).
    im just wondering if anyone can relay experinces where they were lead hand at a young age and how did you go about bossing around older workers when you had to.
    gahh

Post Likes
    Never order anybody around.
    Ask them to do some thing.
    Give them instructions.
    But don't ORDER.
    Respect is earned, not given.
    It takes time to earn it.

I was a lead installer when I was 20, and had to learn that the hard way.

Post Likes
    Focus not on how things get done, but when.
    Gain agreement on the 'when' BEFORE the work starts.
    This will do more for you than anything.

Make sure the end product is clearly defined, not just
    in form but in function as well.

Be not your coworkers supervisor, but their facilitator.
    Do those things for them that make it possible for them
    to achieve your standards. Every problem they might have
    will have a solution. Every solution you provide eliminates a future problem.

Some will step up to the plate, and some wont. Those that won't, they make their own way in life ya know. Those that do truck right on up the ladder with you.

Give those that work with you the freedom to be creative
    and to be responsible. Give them what they need to get the job done easily and quickly. Be clear and precise on your expectations before the job starts and that's all you can do.

Post Likes
    The nice answers are nice. And they're often true. But IMO it's more dynamic than that. Sure you play nice and give everyone the benefit of the doubt at first. “Long-suffering” and “servant-leader” are two very applicable terms here.

But I dealt with this topic myself years ago in another career. Some people will never accept a young boss because young bosses remind them of their own failures. Being 35 and answering to a 20 year old is a humbling hit on one's ego. There are a LOT of people that don't have the maturity to handle that. In some cases you have to give them a not-so-nice reality check to get them to accept you. And others simply never will.

Post Likes
    I would think a lot of it would also depend on who gets defined as who is in charge by the Boss. now if it is someone with less experiance but the boss is giving the responsibility to lead then just do as your told until you get your chance to prove yourself. I would just not hesitate to find out who is expected to the one thats running the job so as not to be blamed for things not getting done that should be.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    Never order anybody around.
    Ask them to do some thing.
    Give them instructions.
    But don't ORDER.
    Respect is earned, not given.
    It takes time to earn it.

I was a lead installer when I was 20, and had to learn that the hard way.

totaly agree i became a lead man when i was 19 or 20 respect was earned.Most times the hard way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in