Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preon verses freon

Post Likes
    I'm planning to change out my cental air system I only have just air, I'm going to a air & heat pump plus a new furnace too. I'm going with the goodman brand. I was told i should go with preon not freon, can you tell me a lttle more about preon? and does it have to be a special unit or set up for preon? and what you think about goodman brand ?

Thanks

Post Likes
    goodman great if upfront cost is a factor. but unit will not last more than 8 or 12 years at the most and will have twice the failures as a good system. also all those people to tell you goodman is a good system are the first to tell you about replacing it in a few years.

i would go puron, and only because most of the systems will be puron after jan.2006 anyway. ones not better than the other. puron is very expensive right now but 10 years from now youll probably see r22 as the expensive refrigerant.

i would go lennox or carrier.also if you are needing a 5 ton system i would not go better than 12 seer because most
    5 tons will only get 12 seer even with systems matched for 15 seer.

Post Likes
    I think you mean Puron not preon and like Freon it is just a name. Puron is R-410A and only Carrier calls it Puron. Freon is Dupont's version of CFC refrigerants such as R-12 and R-22.

Now should you consider 410A? Thats up to you. Today it costs slightly more than R22 but that may change over the course of 10 Years. I suggest you go see http://www.410A.com to get the details. You need to make that decision on your own based on how you see the future playing out.

Some (like me) believe you will be paying a premium for R-22 by 2015 which is within service life of your unit. Others, as misguided as they are think there will be some new refrigerant invented that will replace R410A. (I think the higher pressures make them belive there has to be something better, I dont know).

You will also hear plenty good and plenty bad about brands. You will find if you surf this site and others that the installation is the most crucial in making a system good or bad. Yes there are better brands but if they are hacked in, they will be lame ducks. A goodman installed properly may be just fine for what you want, again if its hacked in you will end up crying foul. Goodman is not, usualy installed by the better installers, this is not to say good installers dont use it, it is a more often than not scenerio. The reason is it's lower price is used in conjunction with lesser quality installtions to win bids that are based soley on price. Yes, as I said there are good installers that use Goodman even participants of this site. I would however submit that if quality and comfort are paramount and the customer is looking for value in something other than the price, they might select another brand for that specific job.

Goodman has nearly if not the largest market share. We could argue over how they got that but frankly in comes down to cost. If I have a 10 year old brand X and the compressor fails out of warranty, the repair costs may be pretty steep. By design, the Goodman brand is priced slightly above that offering a new unit and all new warranties which is very enticing to those of us who live on a budget. Not many people budget for new HVAC or major repairs. The original brand took a black eye for failing and is priced higher this is why the Goodman (and Jantrol, Luxaire, Armstong, and other brands have flourished. You certainly cant blame the pricipals of these companies for considering increased sales by targeting in this way. Its actaully genious if you think about it. Make your money and sell the company and live like a king the rest of your days.

[Edited by docholiday on 07-03-2005 at 11:55 AM]

Post Likes
    I think you may mean Puron.

Freon and Puron are actually brand names.
    Sorta like Crisco is grease, but everybody wants
    to call all cooking grease Crisco.

The most widely used REFRIGERANT for residential applications is R-22.
    R-22 is in the long slow process of being Phased Out.
    Meaning it is considered harmfull to the environment, so
    R-22 is eventually going to be a footnote in air conditioning history. Sorta like R-12 in cars has been replaced by R-134a.
    The Phase out process is going to take years, so there really is no concern as a homeowner to be left out in the cold with no refrigerant available if your system springs a leak.

The new refrigerant taking the place of R-22 is R-410a

Which people refer to as Puron

Puron® is Carrier Corp’s brand name for R-410a
    Suva® 410A is the DuPont brand for R-410A.
    Genetron® AZ20 is Honeywell's R-410a

I guess its easier to remember Puron since it
    so closely resembles Freon (which is DuPonts brand for R-22.)

Post Likes
    Jeepers, I must be slow.....

when I started typing my reply, there were no replies up yet... then I submit and find two ahead of me hehe.

Post Likes
    Me too Airworx got to the point while you and I were pecking at our keyboards.

Post Likes
    Just to add my 2 cents as well.

Goodman today is using good quality brand name components (compressors, valves, electronics, etc)in their systems. Properly installed they should last as long as any other brand name, assuming all things being equal (maintainance, etc). They actually have far more "generic" parts, which are not brand made, which makes spare availability better and cheaper. True they had a bad rep early, but they improved and fought to regain reputation. They have a good warranty and are some of the quieter units on the market today. Key as stated by others is a good install.

As for the refrigerant, I lean to the R22 still today. A new unit today will most likely not live as long as the ready availability of R22. In other words supply of R22 will be plentyful for many, many years. Production will continue till 2030 at reducing levels, and there will be a lot of recoverd R22 that will be sold as well. The big plus for R22 is that there is a vast majority of technicians who are well experienced on R22, while a much smaller number has some, if any R410a experience. This means for the next few years, the chance of a more experienced guy for service is higher.

In either case the quality of the installer and technician matters far more than the name or refrigerant type. Ask around fore recommendations, check with the BBB and even "interview" a few contractors before you decide.

paul

Post Likes
    I thought r22 is now set for early phase out, in 2020.

As for a better chance of getting an experienced tech for r22, there is just too many systems out there with 2 and more pounds over charge, for that reasoning to hold water. The guy might have 30 years experience, and still over charge the system.

To each his own.

Post Likes
    While it is assumed that R-22 will one day come at a premium over 410A. 410A comes at a premium now. 410A costs me three times as much as 22. But that really shouldn't affect your decision heavy. A properly installed system shouldn't leak so you shouldn't have to worry about having to pay for refrigerant down the road.

As far as brand goes, I'll echo what they've already said. Goodman is fine. It's the contractor that matters.

Post Likes
    Would not be afraid of going either way but I know r-22 's track record of how long the units will last....will just have to see with r410a's higher pressures. thats just my opinion

Post Likes

puron units

I want to know what brands that carry the puron 410a central air units other than carrier.

Post Likes
    York, Trane, Lennox, Rheem, etc,etc,etc.

They pretty much all have it now.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Thanks for this topic!

Wow! Quick search for the word "puron" and this thread was at the top and answered my question! Thanks!

Oh...the question was about the availability of freon based systems in the future. My local AC/Heat company that I have a maintenance contract with was telling me that I might want to consider changing out my system ASAP because Carrier is having some big $1000 off sale to replace freon systems with puron systems. The guy seemed to be saying that it would be difficult to find replacement parts/unit in the future, if something happened to my unit, but that sure doesn't seem to be the message I'm reading here.

Now I'm a little ticked off that he may be trying to hustle me! The guy was saying I'd have to make a decision soon, because this sale supposedly ends on July 26th....my system may be old, but shows no signs of trouble. I asked about the cost of an estimate and he said it was free, so I'm going to call to get one and see what the guy says and ask more questions about this supposed "parts/system availiability issue". Just might be time to get a new maintenance company!

As always...thanks to you professionals that take the time to answer all these questions for us homeowners!

[Edited by lisag on 07-04-2005 at 12:20 AM]

Post Likes
    You're contractor is trying to hustle you??? It can't be!

Post Likes
    Well I want thank you Professionals for all the infor.have a Great ! day

Post Likes

Re: Thanks for this topic!

Originally posted by lisag
    ...the question was about the availability of freon based systems in the future.
    http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phas...2phaseout.html

As the article notes, 'drop in' replacements for R-22 (example: R-407C) are expected to be widely available for use during the 30 year phase out period. Such replacements are already in widespread use in Europe and elsewhere.

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/sm/ch...fdc1e6517d.htm

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Irascible
    You're contractor is trying to hustle you??? It can't be!
    Actually, it's rather upsetting, because this company has bee nothing but honest with me over the past several years. You begin to wonder if you can trust anyone anymore. I'm hoping it's only an aberration of this one guy and that he was mistaken. I'll find out when the lead guy comes to do the free estimate.

Post Likes

Talking

SMACK HIM!!!

there will always be a replacement part for your unit (at least 10 more years). all parts for a unit are pretty much universal save for a few parts. capacitors and contactors are universal. now there are almost always sales on units. look areound a little. call like 5 or more companies and have them out for an estimaite. make sure that they sell a variety of units and that they are very thorough! they better ask ???'s about hot cold spots, allergies, dryness, humidity or anything uncomfortable. they should also do a heat load calculation to give you the exact unit size for your house. follow him around and watch over his shoulder. make sure he knows you are there by asking lots of questions. he might not like it but he might get you a better prouduct if he knows you ve doneyour homework. as a service tech, i have met people, especially older folks, that i probably could have taken advantage of but thats wrong! they trust you, thats why. i want people to trust me cause i'm honest! just do your homework in case he tries anything!

TAKE YOUR TIME AND SHOP AROUND!

Post Likes
    Just skimming over Carrier and Trane's web sites
    to see what kinda promotions they have going on and
    found these....

http://www.residential.carrier.com/res/details/0,3041,CLI1_DIV109_ETI8671_MID4141,00.html?SMSESSIO N=NO

http://www.residential.carrier.com/res/details/0,,CLI1_DIV109_ETI8211,00.html?SMSESSION=NO

http://www.trane.com/Residential/News/Rebate.aspx
    That one just went out... June 30, 2005

I try to keep up with promotions so I can pass it along to
    homeowners with really old units. Especially if they are planning on replacing the unit 'in the near future'
    I'd hate for someone to miss out on a promotion.
    I'm bad about having this little voice in my head saying...
    "This unit aint gonna make it through the summer."
    Most of the time the voice is right... but then again...
    there are a few units out there that have totally amazed me.
    Anyways... even though I try, I get mixed up myself.
    I just realized I was mixed up just then, I thought
    Carrier was offering $1000 back for going to the Infinity
    system. But now realize it was Trane when getting an XL16i or XL19i.
    Arghhh... its hard to keep up sometimes.

Speaking of something hard to keep up with...
    I think its been really hard for tech's to keep up with
    the refrigerant changes lately.
    Seems like everytime I turn around, the R22 phase out plan
    has changed.
    Up until a few months ago, I thought they said 2006.
    Then thought I heard 2006 for the date they would stop
    producing units with R22
    Then thought either Carrier or Trane had set a date themselves for going to all 410 units
    For some reason, I'm thinking Carrier has already stopped producing split system heat pumps with R22. But in just checking the web site... they still offer R22 heat pumps.
    Maybe its just the ones we sell. http://www.residential.carrier.com/res/details/0,3041,CLI1_DIV109_ETI7960_MID3782,00.html?SMSESSIO N=NO
    And thought I heard that Tranes new package unit design coming out in 2006 will be all 410.
    I've heard 10 year timetables, 20 year timetables, and 30 year timetables for R22 phaseout.

I imagine I'm not the only one thats been mixed up on the phase out timing as you can see by the different responses
    in this thread alone.

If I were you, and I was serious about looking into the rebate, I'd call and talk to someone in charge.
    If you are not planning on replacing the unit, then at the very least...
    Get an estimate, go ahead and learn as much as you can now
    about what to look for and what to ask for (this web site has more info like that than you can shake a stick at),
    get everything figured out now.
    If the unit were to out when its 98 degree's outside,
    you're not gonna want to take your time and figure out what you want at the last second....
    Its sorta like shopping for a car.... it takes me a couple months of shopping before I find the one I like...
    if I were to total out my car tomorrow.. then I'd be forced
    to buy the first one that struck my fancy and I'd end up
    regretting what I got.

If the company has been honest and done the work professionally in the past... then I'd give the tech a break and figure he got mixed up. We're not perfect all the time.... just most of the time

If you've been skepticle of the company over the years they've serviced your equipment... then by all means get
    other estimates and find a good company now.

Like I said... its better to have a plan worked out now
    for when you unit goes out then wait till the last minute
    and be forced to get whatever somebody offers.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    I thought r22 is now set for early phase out, in 2020.

As for a better chance of getting an experienced tech for r22, there is just too many systems out there with 2 and more pounds over charge, for that reasoning to hold water. The guy might have 30 years experience, and still over charge the system.

To each his own.

yes 2020 R-22 will no longer be produced, it should be noted that in 2015 only 10% of the amount that was manufactured in 1999 will be allowed.

Seems to me as Beenthere mentioned that experience with proper practice is the key, longevity by using rule of thumb has made a mess so far. A guy who knows how to convert to saturation temps and "see" what the refrigerant is doing in the system has much more to offer regardless of the refrigerant. Most of the commercial guys, especially in refrigerantion know this because they work with so many refrigerants, the hackers know 65 suction and 220 head and cant tell sh%# from applebutter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in