Thread: question

I am currently at a job making 12.50, this job pertains to running gas lines, serviceing eqp etc. Before this job i worked at a gas utilities company, good pay, and alot more job titles. I should have stayed but didnt. Here is my question, I have been wanting to get into the heating and air career( i am hvac licensed by my state board). I have been offered a job as a helper for the same amount of money i currently make. Current employer offers a two dollar raise.(but this will be all i ever make for the next 20 years). I really want to get into hvac so i declined raise(figuring that i will hopefully pass the 14.50 and hour offer). Did i do the right thing?

Guess I dont really understand why declining the raise will get you above the $15.50 figure . Is that saying that if you decline it , they might think you are thinking of leaving so they may pay more or what? Yep utilies have better bennies usally over the long run....should have stayed there.

The raise would only get me to 14.50 at old job. Wanting to take the risk at new job. starts out at 12.50 as a helper. I am hoping to get in and work my way up.

Senior Tech Guest
    How do you know you will not get a raise for the next 20 years?...If you know this as fact, why would you stay somewhere that you can not hope to advance your pay? As far as your previous job...forget it, it's gone, leave it in the past and strive to make your future better.

The reason i believe this is because there are a few guys there who make that and have been there 15 and 16 years. Which is fine, I just feel like this oppertunity is more promissing. Plus i get more experience in hvac.

Question

i am hvac licensed by my state board

What is required to sit for your license test in SC.In NC we need 4000 hrs of experience, If you have your license how are you a helper?

Originally posted by saloh
    i am hvac licensed by my state board

What is required to sit for your license test in SC.In NC we need 4000 hrs of experience, If you have your license how are you a helper?

kinda waiting to hear the answer to that one.

Only job avaliable at company. i am waiting on answer to original question.

It all depends on what you really want to do, You have to answer that question not anybody else.