Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am having a new heat pump and furnace installed. The furnace is an Amana AMV9 two stage high efficiency and the heat pump is an Amana RSG 36, 16 seer two stage with 410 A.

I am down to making a thermostat choice, either the Honyewell vision pro or the White Rodgers 1F95 serie or ??

Any comments on these stats from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks, North

Have you seen the two thermostats side by side? The VisionPro is one sweet thermostat.

No comparison... Honeywell VisionPro!

since you are running a dual fuel system go with the Honeywell, uses an outdoor temp probe so no need for a fossil fuel kit.
    "Go big or Go Home"

I have both stats... WR 1F95-371 at my one residence, Honeywell VisionPro TH8321 at this one. I'd say the VisionPro as long as you don't need all of the advanced remote sensor weighting features the WR stat, go for the VisionPro.

The VP looks better, can have the backlight on continuously, is FAR easier to program, has a better recovery & control algorithms, accounts for daylight savings time automatically, a longer warranty (5 years vs. 1 yr) and a few other goodies. Since you have dual-fuel, get the outdoor sensor for the VP as well so that it can decide when it's too cold outside for the HP to do any good. The WR stats support an outdoor sensor, but it only uses it to display the OD temp on the screen, not for determining HP cutoff points. As an added bonus, the Honeywells are slightly less expensive (at least from my distributor, prices might vary elsewhere)

But the high end W-R has a feature Vision Pro doesn't: the capability of triggering the dehumidify feature of a variable speed furnace. Also can control a humidifier as well.

In an installation where humidity control is needed, the 1F95-391 can tell the board to slow the blower if humidity rises above the setpoint (ala Thermidistat) and can control a standard humidifier for winter use. The only thing the TH8321 can do is overcool you to try to lower the humidity and cannot control a humidifier.

That stat's outdoor sensor will work with a heat pump to hold off backup strips in mild weather, just like the Vision Pro. It will also slow the blower using the dehum feature if a heat pump is running long periods in the winter for warmer air. It has adjustable fan delay on & off if the blower unit doesn't. And yes, you can set a balance point for dual fuel operation just like with the Vision Pro

http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/in.../0037-6527.pdf Take a peek, I think you'll find that W-R can do so much more than a consumer VP. But I do like the touch screen more!

Oh, the W-R can handle 2 stage backup in dual fuel mode, the VP won't so that's why the one I won isn't on my wall!

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    But the high end W-R has a feature Vision Pro doesn't: the capability of triggering the dehumidify feature of a variable speed furnace. Also can control a humidifier as well.
    Good point.

Here's a competitive analysis that may help further:

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/50-9122.pdf

I don't think Honeywell's comparo is accurate.

Universal functionality, only thing the 1F95-371 might not do is milivolt.

Accessory indication: the 1F95-371 will do hum pad, filter and UV bulb timing just like the VP.

Stages: As I mentioned, the 1F95-371 will stage the backup where the VP won't.

I do like the display and warranty of the VP but the W-R does so much more if those features are desired. Only one that interests me is the dehumidify capability. Never yet have programmed a VP to time the filters, hum pad etc.

Good post Bald, Hey can I have the one you won and dont use? Ha! I'd like to give the VP a whirl.

I cant say for sure but the WR will also communicate with a copeland comfort alert, I dont know about the VP. I do also like the display of the VP but I'm more interested in fuction because I have other things to do than sit and look at my thermostat.

Sheesh Louise you're an encyclopedia Baldy! :^) I've changed my mind. Give me the WR in a humid climate any day.

You're pretty useful too Doc. :^) This is the first I've heard of Copeland's thinger.
    http://www.copeland-corp.com/cp_ac/c...mfortAlert.htm

Well I guess baldloonie just gave me a little to think about...was going to say vison pro, no contest. I better think about that again.

I agree with you DEC, now if Baldloonie will help me to get my foot out of my mouth for jumping in and posting so soon, I would apreciate it . LOL
    "Go big or Go Home"

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys. You got to love this site!

I will wade through all the supplied info and then make a decision.

One thing that I should have mentioned I guess is that we do not have a humidity problem.

Bald Loonie, if I understand you correctly I will need the W-R if for nothing else to stage the gas furnace (which is something I think that I will need in my climate). ???

North

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast