Thread: Trane or Lennox

Hello, I had a few HVAC companies come give me an estimate. What a headache, anyway, I would like to know what the pro's think do you guys rec. Trane. or Lennox. And once again Oil or gas? amd in line coil or air handler in attic. This is a 1100 sq. ft cape home?????
    Please help...

5th time's the charm?

Read the third link in the signature. That IS the answer to the Trane vs Lennox question. I can't speak to fuel prices in your area. But natural gas is one heck of a lot cleaner than oil. Lower maintenance too.

the equipment is good on both lines. Whats most important is the quality of yor installer. How many years experiance and a list of customers you can call. What kind of warranty support. I end up doing the service on others installs because they are not available. Companies that do not service do not deserve your bussiness.

What models are you looking at? Both brands have builder and better lines plus their super-duper stuff. Don't oversize, dealers seem to oversize little homes the most.

Not sure what size and I think they are putting good stuff. The Q60 or G60? Lennox, The better 2 stage Traine Let me know what you think.

How do you know if they are a good contractor? You don't.

Biggest problem they good companies have sales rep.s they came to the house one even told me Im just a sales man. So what do you suggest I do?

I live In Staten Island NY

I thank all that can help.

And they are saying 85,000 Btu's and 3 ton unit.

Problem is I have old aluminum duct work that's why they want to either

A. Rip it out and start over with an over furnace coil or

B. Attic system adding only more supply lines and return lines for the attic rooms.

And all say rip out the Oil. I really wish I had the answers very tuff thing this HVAC.
    As far as the atiic sytem one said "you have your entire load on the second floor cause it's a cape and all of the roof is exposed on that floor" "so that's the only system that will work"
    The other guy "rip it all out start over with better duct work over the furnace it will work great" ???????

PLEASE HELP ......And I don't know my heat loss let's say they both spec.ed the right stuff (85,000-3ton)

PLEASE HELP

WOW! 85000 and 3 ton for 1100 sq ft seems way out of line. How are they determining this? Guessing most likely.

What do you have for heat now? Forced air oil? With the price of gas so high, in NYC oil may be the cheaper heat. Not something to rule out anyway.

What's your insulation like? How shaded is the house? Lots of windows? Which way do most face?

trane downfalls. condenser coil covered, most technitions will not clean, probably because its a pain to clean.
    top has to be pulled to get to compressor which could lead
    to misdiagnosis of compressor failure where lazy or fast paced techs will not investigate for real problem.
    evap coils are very tall and will not come out of closets without pulling furnace, i seem to find a lot of trane coils
    leaking. but other than service on these units they are one of the best.

i would choose lennox, they are quieter than trane, compressors are easily accessible, and coils are simple to clean.

and as far as concerns over differant companies having differant solutions, well that residential.

call an industrial hvac company that will do residential.

Question Trane or Lennox ?????????????????

A very good friend of mine that works for a Company that does mostly "HIGH $$$$ RESIDENTIAL says Lennox beats Trane Hands down. All of the techs in that same company that own Houses have all put Lennox units in their own homes.

Originally posted by mycapehome
    How do you know if they are a good contractor? You don't.
    Find the right one and you will. Unfortunately you may have to go through a dozen contractors to find one that talks straight and knows what he's doing.

have to go with ask around to friends at who they use and why. as far as oil againsh gas.......I dont do oil so I guess Im not the one to ask. Only oil I did was a mess and dirty.

i deal with both lenox and trane and find they are both equaly reliable and good products. the key is install not witch product installed.