Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Recently had a new A/C system installed by a local contractor. The air handler is a 2 yr old Amana unit and the new A/C system consists of a York Affinity 4 ton R-410a with an Aspen coil. The techs seemed to have a hard time fitting the coil into the box under the furnace and hacked away a bunch of sheetmetal to get the refrigerant and drain lines in. They sealed up all the gaps as best they could with a aluminum backed insulated tape. The system worked okay for a few days but the tape seems unable to hold back the pressure and leaks a lot of air when it runs. Now the system barely works at all there is a thin oily film all over the tape near one of the coil fittings. I'm having the company back out soon to fix it.

Is taping up large gaps in the coil box acceptable pratice, if not what should I insist be done?
    Are the air leaks a problem?
    Does the oily film indicate a coolant leak?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Is taping up large gaps in the coil box acceptable pratice, if not what should I insist be done?

No. Have the sheetmetal redone with appropriately sized holes.

Are the air leaks a problem?

Yes.

Does the oily film indicate a coolant leak?

Yes, congratulations, you have a refrigerant leak.

Congratulations you have a guy that doesn't know what he is talking about answering questions like he is 100% sure of what he is talking about. Just call your installer back out and have him do it right. Don't get these home owners that don't know what they are talking about to get in your head.

about2buy is on the ball. The fact that he may be a homeowner and not a pro is irrelevant. Though I don't think congratulations are in order.

Having sheet metal redone could mean a lot of things. If they only hacked up the cover then it's entirely within their capability to make a new one that would fit right and seal better. Tape is meant for sealing seams, not gaps.

Abou2, got it pretty much on the nose.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Irascable & Beenthere, thanks for the props.

Gcastillo, who pissed in your cornflakes?

Well I have to agree with just having the installers coming out and looking at your complaints and solving the problem. Anyone solving a problem that may be or may not be on line is kidding themselves. Where the oil came from doesnt always mean a leak, maybe, maybe not. I would just go with the idea I want it solved and not trying to tell them what its problems are by the opinions of a few on here. Most people dont like being told how to do their job, I definatly dont.

dec, your right.
    only about 90% of the time when i find oil, does it mean there is a leak.

As far as being told what to do.

If they leave a job with a tape only seal at large openings they may need to be told to do it right.

But I don't think anyone said to tell them anything terrible.
    Just that he should tell them he wants it done right.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hey, post some pictures of this install...

...then you will really get some good feedback!

We'll be waiting!

Pissed in my cornflakes? What I am saying is you can't take some guy that has never seen the install telling you that there is a leak, you've definitely got some problems with your sheetmetal and just so sure that you are congratulating him. What do you know. Hell if this was a job you can fix over a post we wouldn't have a job. Thank god we don't take a post you put on here and have it solve problems. There are manufacturers out there like Goodman that test their condensers with oil, Does that mean that because you see oil around the compressor there is a leak? Do your homework dude. No I am not trying to ruffle feathers but you have to give the installer a chance to fix what may or may not be wrong. We can't tell over a post what this install looks like.

Originally posted by gcastillo
    What do you know... Do your homework dude.
    We know that if the OP is not a liar then he has crappy sheet metal, a refrigerant leak and air leaks galore. There's no two ways about it. If you were an experienced tech then you'd know that.

How are those cornflakes anyway?

I don't eat cornflakes. I am not an experienced tech. I have only been a service tech 3 years. But I know that you can't fix a problem with some guy assuring you he is right over the internet. Hell I don't even believe the homeowner when he tells me what his problem is until I find it for myself. So if you think you are putting me down and think you are so right. Good for you. I read stuff from the smart people here and go on my way hardly ever posting. You guys want to bash me go ahead. I was trying to help someone. Go ahead and argue with each other.

Bash you? HA! You're a freakin comedian. You set yourself up gcastillo. Your attitude was pissy as hell so you got an appropriate response. Big freaking deal.

And your logic and analysis is wrong:
    1) Your comparison to Goodman's residual oil was way off base. I've never seen oil on the connections of a new evaporator coil that was just unboxed. And if there was then the installer would need to clean it off to do his brazing. The logical conclusion when a customer says his unit isn't working and that there's oil all over a connection is that there's a leak.
    2) You attacked an opinion by attacking the poster. The poster's status in life is irrelevant to the correctness of his information. Your response was purely emotional. That tells me you took it personal for some reason. Been having a lot of callbacks lately perhaps?
    3) You demand the installer be given a chance when no one suggested otherwise. Again it's an emotional response that makes no sense. Obviously someone has been treating you wrong and about2buyahouse became the proxy with whom you took it out on.
    4) If we are to take your advice on not trying to help people solve problems online then this would be one dead forum. We do it all the time as a matter of course.
    5) And finally... You're obviously a little slow on the uptake. No one cares about your cornflake eating status. It was a figure of speech. LOL!

Relax gcastillo. Just because you stepped in it this time doesn't mean any one is bashing you or even cares to. We're all so absorbed with our own opinions that we'll hardly remember your name tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast