Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused

Sure could use some advice; need to replace one of my heat pumps...
    My 20 year old Comfortmaker (3 ton) was blowing hot air last night so I called a contractor out this morning. He said the comressor had lost all refrigerant, and it appeared the badly rusted accumulator tank was the culprit. He suggested reparing such an old, inefficient unit would be ill-advised and I figured that made sense.

I'm a commercial framing contractor but have no experience in this arena (or contacts on such short notice). Fortunately I have a two zone system, but the MBR is upstairs and it's HOT here in FL, so I authorized the following: Replace the old 3 ton Comfortmaker with (his recommendation) a 3.5 ton Goodman (13 SEER); cost including today's holiday service callXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I know the forum rules say no pricing, but I'm hoping someone can tell me this is reasonable (I just don't wanna get ripped-off). I've read good & bad about Goodman in the little time I've had to research today. Should I go forward with this install tomorrow am or cancel??? HELP

[Edited by lusker on 07-04-2005 at 09:43 PM]

If you are changing just the outdoor unit keep it at 3 tons. Do not oversize just the outdoor unit. I think you should also get the indoor unit changed out, but this time of year is not the best time to price shop and attics are not a good place to work in July.

Get him to put in another 3 ton.

Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I am planning on replacing the handler also-as you suggest. I'm trying to reconfigure a linen closet to get the handler inside the house instead of the attic. Since this is going to happen in the short-term, is it OK to go with the 3.5 ton? I added a small amount of footage (about 250 sf by enclosing a porch) and wanted the extra BTU's? Any opinion on Goodman?

If you know it's against forum rules then why are you doing it?

If you're a price shopper then get on the phone and call around until someone tells you what you want to hear.

If you're not a price shopper then start looking for a good contractor. From what you've said thus far I have my doubts about your current contractor. Just arbitrarily upgrading a half ton is foolish. Can the existing air handler deliver 3.5 tons of air? What is it currently delivering? Can the coil handle 3.5 tons? Do you even need 3.5 tons? And if you're not a price shopper then read the third link in my signature and believe it.

You might be better off sweating for a little while until you get yourself educated.

Irascible:
    Your reply is condescending and I resent it.
    I am NOT price shopping. This is an emergency repair and I was just looking for someone to day "O.K." or "NOT O.K.".

You can sweat yourself, brother. I may be a brand new participant here looking for some quick advice, but that's no reason to jump down my throat.

Lose your attitude.

Consider removing and bypassing the leaking accumulator as an emergency repair. This relatively small investment will buy you the time you need to have your system properly evaluated.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

A few tips tob...

1. Since your contractor didn't do a leak test the leak could be in the indoor section which you aren't replacing now...

2. You obviously don't believe in preventive maintenance or you would have trust in your tech by building a history with him...

3. Get a window unit for you MBR.

4. Say you are sorry to IRA. He is one of the best techs here and you just burnt up your bridge over troubled waters.

5. Rules are rules and NO you are not an exception!
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by tobnpr
    Your reply is condescending and I resent it. Lose your attitude.
    Perhaps. But your post was against forum rules - rules that are there for a mighty fine reason - and you knowingly broke them anyway. I resent that. You lose the disregard for forum rules and I'll lose the attitude.

In any event, despite the distractions you got the answer you needed. It may not be the one you want. But it's the one you should listen to. Steve and Pender have some good suggestions. Replacing an AC in a pinch and glibly upgrading the tonnage is asking for trouble.

Hey guys... Happy 4th.

Goodman is fine as long as it is installed properly. I would only replace with the same tonnage unless you replace both sections at the same time. If you added space to the home I would think about a mini split for that area of the house, unless it is part of the main living space, then upgrade the complete system.

To many people or worried the duct will not handle the extra air flow! Their are not many out their that will not!!! Most people need to grow up!!!!

Originally posted by drk
    To many people or worried the duct will not handle the extra air flow! Their are not many out their that will not!!! Most people need to grow up!!!!
    And others need to learn how to spell,

Are, Too, They're & There would be a good start.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

The funniest part about your post drk (and there are many levels to the comedy) is that if you do a word search for "duct" on this page you'll find that you're the first guy to even mention it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast