Thread: Anyone seen this before...

Post Likes
    As we all sit by our computers waiting on Dice to post #20,000 I thought I would ask about what I saw the other day.

I will admit I might not be the smartest guy around, but in my 25 years of doing this stuff I have never seen this before, I pulled the liquid line drier apart on a new 30GTN190 because I was getting high superheat trips and this is what I found. Has anyone seen a gasket in front of the screen on a drier like this before? I have always seen gaskets between the cores but never in the outlet of the drier like these were. I pulled circuit B apart and found the same thing, have I been missing something all these years?

[Edited by chillrdude on 07-02-2005 at 12:17 AM]

Post Likes
    HAHAHA, that must have been installed by one of those more edumacated techs than us! Two phones, you definately rate higher than me,LOL.

Post Likes
    You're ahead of me.

In 25 years I've never seen gaskets between cores.

Post Likes
    Looks kinda home made to me. Maybe someone wanted to do a super clean-up.

Wolfdog, you can see the core gaskets in the bottom picture.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Wow...that even looks like it took a little effort to make that gasket. I'm sure that one did not come with the cores. That ranks right up there with LL driers in the hot gas lines.

Post Likes

Hmm Chillerdude

The only thing I can think of is ol'e Willis Carrier in his infinite wisdom of men and machines dcided to install those to protct the EXV slots. I've seen these on several Carrier screws both water and air cooled. Note all the debris caught by the screen. Old Willis might be spinning in his grave though, The thought of using TRANE products in a Carrier......LOL

Post Likes
    Those gaskets come with thew cores but are obviously for the solid end of the assembly.I can't believe the amount of crap on the gasket, possibly a compressor change is in the future.

Post Likes

acjourneyman

I agree the gaskets come with the filter, but not that screen. There is a screen built in to the end which is visable on his last picture he listed on his thread. Hopefully all the crap that has been filtered will prevent a compressor changeout.

ga1279

Post Likes

Re: Chillerdude

Originally posted by ga1279
    I've seen these on several Carrier screws both water and air cooled.
    This machine is brand new, about 3 months old, and from what I am hearing was about the last one made here in the states before all those jobs went south, I am trying to determine if it was disgruntled employees, a mistake or something else. So far everyone I talk to has never seen anything like this in front of the outlet screen.

Post Likes
    Kinda looks like fine metal shavings in the pic. Are they?
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes
    that is from the factory for sure with it being new,and you were the first to unbolt that dryer since shipping?someboby on the line is or will be caught as the complaints come in, and they narrow it down to that station.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Hey Abs, kind of a combination of drier core "dust" a little copper and metal and dirt.

Maxter, I think the person on the line is now unemployed due to the fact they (Carrier) closed the plant and sent the jobs south. Supposedly this was one of the last ones made here in the states.

Post Likes
    With all of the replies have you called your local Carrier Dealer or distributor about your findings? I would be real curious to find what they have to say if anything...
    “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau

It's sad that we have become so accustomed to bad service that we're shocked when we get good service.
    Neil Cavuto

Post Likes
    The first problem is that it's an Alco product-yuck! That junk is made in Mexico. Rip it out and put in a good Sporlan take apart catch-all. How did all that crap get past those Alco rock blocks anyway? JMHO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in