Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scrap pile...

got me some good bottle-rockets today,....can't wait till tues.Either he's gonna haul the rest of the stuff off or elseLOL....

Senior Tech Guest
    We actually have the same guy doing ours for years...he's on social security and doe's this to supplement income. He picks up everything, (no stripping on premises), sweeps up and will even pick on site if requested, he gets all the money and we don't have to mess with it...occasionally have "The 40 Ounce Gang" that swipes an occasional coil...til we catch'm.

like beencool's idea

Back in my 20's I worked at a refinery. It was small, only refining 130 thousand barrels of crude a day. At the end of the year, all of the scrap metal in the "Bone yard" would be sold. We would have a company party. There was maybe 30 of us total in the whole plant.

A local night club got their three rooftop package units torn apart last month, Left only the frame and controls behind, .The owner was in tears when spoken to,couldn't help feeling sorry for the guy. Thieves are definetly getting bolder with the price of copper nowadays.
    Big leaps get you there faster, small steps keep you there longer.

Wait until you get a letter from his lawyer......saying he got injured on that old scrap you said he could have.

I did a change out on thursday where two gas packs were missing there coils. Some one stole both of the coils.

Originally posted by westemp
    Wait until you get a letter from his lawyer......saying he got injured on that old scrap you said he could have.
    ....um,like i said i don't know who this guy is and he's goona have to prove that i gave him permission to do anything....

I see we are not the only ones having problems.
    We have a guy and his son who have been making a living doing this for us for year,. They have agreemnts with several companies around town.
    They take off all scrap metal to be able to get the copper.Will come to the site to pick up also. Even on out of town jobs if not to far and worth his while. Very convenient for us overall.

Recently though the crackheads in the neighborhhod have turned to our scrap pile as a source of income.

Started by just catching the gate open and grabbing a coil or two.
    Then they started cutting chain.
    Of course we go and buy the super duper krypton cable and lock .
    That will fix 'em.

Ya right.

They pull the hinges off the gate and take all the good stuff again.
    So we weld the hinges on the gates.
    Ok now we think that will stop 'em.

Ya right.

They turn to broad daylight raids
    Pull up and throw a condenser in the back of a hatchback and off they go.
    We give the cops the tag number.
    They can't keep from snickering as they take it down.
    Very high priority on the old police agenda I'm sure.

Ya right.

Any way we come in last Monday and they have just drove thru the gate with thier vehicle.

Screw it we give up.

As well off to leave the gate open and tell scrap man just come by and get it before they do we can't keep fixing the gates just to protect our scrap.
    Sad but true,
    What is this world coming to.

Theives are everywhere. Here in town we have an old mill that is an excellent example of the of the industrial revolution. It laid abandon for years. A group of business men got together to renovate the mill and make it into mini indusrial spaces. Mace pepper spray is now a major tenant.

Anyway it had a bronze bell in the tower that was over 100 years old. Theives ripped it out during the renovations. Busted it up with sledge hammers and took it to the scrap yard. They did get caught but a piece of history is gone for ever.

....the more i think about it,the madder i get,...we'll see if this guy shows his face tomorrow....

Re: Mo flo: you got got alright

Originally posted by ct2
    you let this guy into your yard without you being there - he strips out the copper and has enough time to look the place over, maybee rig the fence to open in a hidden spot

oh he will be back alright---I would make that insurance pmt now because it sounds like you have just gave a theif permission to rob your yard

hate to bump this back up,but i got more phone calls tonight while i was at the county fair according to caller i.d. and answering machine,....this time different motel,same town as before....well it's about 9:30 while ago and phone rings,..different named dude with same line,....i say no done been down this road don't call here no more,....well he hangs up and i get to thinking about,so i try to return his call to number caller i.d. says he called from,....fax-machine....so instead of going out and hunting them down i called sheriff's department and informed them that i was calling to inform them of this and to make a report of it....we'll see what happens about it.I'm out bustin' my but crawling under houses all day,lifting units...bad back and all,....and you got dopeheads not hitting a lick staying at motels driving around scoping not only my place of business also my home were my 2 little girls live....man i'm mad!.....i hope they catch em' and the judge can sentence them to me for work program and i'll put these boys in some attics and crawlspaces that they'll never forget.

I realized something when I was going through my electricity classes in school. That is that it is much easier for some out there to simply get a gun and go out and rob someone, than it is to get to class on time , and actually study a subject that they can make money at.

They can go out and sell a few hundred dollars worth of drugs every day, or steal something and not really care if they get caught because when they do finally get caught they are fed , and housed much better than when they are out on the street.

It's sick and getting worse all of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12