Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scrap pile...

get a call this morning and caller i.d. says motel up the road,..i figure they need some a.c. work maybe so i answer...THIS DUDE SAYS THAT HE IS CALLING TO SEE IF I HAVE ANY SCRAP UNITS...i said yeah,i got a whole pile of them out back.He says that he'll haul them off and pay me half.I say o.k. come on down and go to work.I get home and all he takes is copper and leaves rest of stuff behind.He calls while ago and gives me some story that he got took from guy he sold it to.....says he'll be back tues. and get rest of stuff cleaned up.Old lady and her friend are teasing me and saying i got took,....i say it was just trash anyway and now nobody will ask me to hook up those old units to get them by,.....what do you guys think?..............seems like with price of copper up a guy might ought to watch out for this type of thing.....i don't like the idea of somebody scoping my place out.

Senior Tech Guest
    I think you got screwed...and the teasing will...and should continue.

dawg-gone copperheads...probably a freon huffer too.

We changed out a 12 ton RTU a couple weeks ago in a rough part of town. A guy in a Lincoln says he wants the old unit. We said,for $60 it's his ,if he has the money and a trailer by the time the crane is pulling the old one down.

The crane operator says we started a crime spree.

The guy had to go find a trailor to steal and then knock off a 7-11 for the $60. Never did show up.

Mo flo: you got got alright

you let this guy into your yard without you being there - he strips out the copper and has enough time to look the place over, maybee rig the fence to open in a hidden spot

oh he will be back alright---I would make that insurance pmt now because it sounds like you have just gave a theif permission to rob your yard

I wouldn't dare let them dismantle them there at your place.

Haul it all or not at all.

You gotta watch those scrap men. They'll pull up in their Caddilac to see if there's enough to haul off. They do well for themselves.

never gave him permission to rob me,....don't know who he is?all i know is that some crazy guy shows up and starts ripping my old units apart...hope he does come back,he better not let me catch him is all i got to say.I think maybe he might come back cause he thinks i've got more scrap for him....maybe i ought to file a police report?The thing about it is if he is that hard up for money i probably would of helped...no,he has to try and go about it the wrong way.

any ideas on how to handle this situation and teach this guy a lesson??.......or should i just let it lay?

I'd just leave him alone. May be more touble than you want to deal with.

There's usually a garbage picker in every neighborhood that cruises in an old pick-up truck on trash night in every area. That's who I used to use to take my scrap away and he would take it all not just some.

Every year we take all of our scrap copper and coils down to the scrap yard. We get enought money to pay for a clam bake for the employees and spouses. Clam bake includes: clams, lobster, steak, shrimp, all trimings and beers. About a grand.

Did the guy say "Merry Christmas"?

Pack your bags and leave, don't look back. Move to Pittsburg or Bennington, man O man you got took.

Or the guy didn't know how much work was involved for the amount of money he got and wont be back. But move anyways!

Now i'm going to be worried sick for you. Thanks for ruining my fourth of July, oh now my stomach hurts.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

yes i bet he got probably $100.00 for those 4 or 5 units,...that might cover his fine for cutting them loose....who knows maybe he has a recovery machine and is selling the freon on black market and scrap-man is his cover???

I always chase those guys off, Have had too many showing up during working hours when no one is around and the gates are open. Have had a couple of used units that were setting there that we planned on reusing stripped. I could not beleive how brazen they are doing that in broad daylight. A lot of them a just guys getting enough copper for another drink or fix. Caught one that went everwhere on a bicycle stripping them. Had his little theif kit with bolt cutters, side cutters, and misc. drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast