Thread: Old fridge out

At work I found two old fridges not working in the kitchen which the workers need, been out for a good while, way before I began working there, anyway I found one of them grossly over charged, I got that one working.
    The other one is a different story, it was filty, coils plugged, dirty, you guys know what I'm talking about, cleaned it real good, plugged it up, fans run fine but compressor will not start, tested the start capasitor, turned out it was bad, installed a new one, compressor stil won't fire up, check t-stat, ok, there is voltage going to the comp., it seems that the compressor is dead.
    What are your thoughts, any ideas?
    Hoping you guys can help me out here, I told my boss about it and he said if the compessor is dead than bury it, I agreed due to the age of it.
    1983 model.

From what you state about it being so plugged up dirty, I'd have to say the compressor is mechanically seized due to loss of lubrication form cooked oil. You could try an Annie to try to "jump-start" it you have one.....or get a Supco "3-in-one" hard start kit. If those don't work, give it last rites and move on.

If the box is in really good shape, it might well be worth a compressor change. Price it out for you boss against the cost of a new box and then let him decide.

Thumbs up

Hey icemeister, I installed a new 3-1 hard start kit today, no good, still won't work so I agree with you that it's dead, thanks for replying as you normally do, I was hoping that you had a chance to read and replie.
    I have an cooler that is used to cool mile that is no longer use, might try to see if the specs are the same and try in install it on the unit that i am working on.
    I'll let you know the outcome.Thanks again icemeister.