Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: won't get below 82 degrees in the afternoon

Post Likes
    Those type of comments are not even worth the effort ct2.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Post Likes
    Reply to hotinthesouth. When did you install the blinds? Internal shading adds more load to your home!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dexman
    Internal shading adds more load to your home
    I'm not saying that you are wrong, but this doesn't make intuitive sense. Unless maybe the shading is painted flat black and is in the direct sun.

Post Likes
    Travisfl, didn't make sense to me. Learned it at a seminar. I havn't checked it in manual J but it is in manual n. Look at solar heat gain factors for west facing glass (evening sun) for bare glass and compare them on the next page to internally shaded glass. It doesn't make sense to me still but it is in the book!!! Instructor says they absorb and retain heat.

Post Likes
    Instructor says they absorb and retain heat.
    I believe this is only true when you put internal shading adjacent to heat absorbing glass. For clear and reflective-coated glass the shading coefficient is lower with all forms of internal shading.

Post Likes
    you may be right on that. Ill have to check. But I think you are referring only to shading factors and not solar factors. Both must be used and multiplied by sq. ft of window area. I may be out on a limb here but thought it was worth looking into when hotinthesouth said he could cool house when sun was gone. (solar heat gain factors) My "solar" charts make no distinction between types of glass. (table 2 manual n)

Post Likes
    Originally posted by travisfl
    Internal shading adds more load to your home
    I'm not saying that you are wrong, but this doesn't make intuitive sense. Unless maybe the shading is painted flat black and is in the direct sun.
    You are saying internal shading is worse than no shading or worse than external shading?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    I'm saying try it so we will all know. It's been taught at seminars by guys smarter than me. I'm not saying it makes sense to me or that Ive tried removing any, however sometimes what makes sense is wrong. I do know that a commercial load done through manual n on windows w/internal shading will require more cooling reguardless of glass type.

Post Likes
    more cooling compared to external shading?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Post Likes
    Yes.External shading is better than internal or none at all.

Post Likes
    Let's look at the facts here. We have a 2 ton unit in roughly 800ft2. Even though a rule of thumb was used to size it, it should be capable of pulling the house down to say 75* or so with no problems. If the refrigerant charge is in fact correct, then the only other problems would be airflow, or duct related. I think others on here are right on. You have a leaky duct somewhere. I have actually seen ducts forgoten to be hooked up when the install was made. You are losing a lot of btu's somewhere. On a mild day that loss of btu's is not enough to affect anything, but when the temps climb into the 90s you suddenly have an undersized unit. You need to get a pro in there to look at the home as a system. Any of the pros that regulary post in this forum, if they are near you, call them, they are not only good techs, they are great troubleshooters.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by travisfl
    Originally posted by earthcondition
    Any suggestions?
    Measure the temperatures at your return and supply registers and (if you can get to it) at the return and supply plenums at the air handler, and post them here. If you have the condenser pressures from the tech's visit post them too, along with the outside temperature.

Best suggestion for both the OP and the "aledged" hijacker,neither has responded.

If the return temp at the grilles ,is much lower then the return temp at the retun plenum,you likely have large return air leak.They kill system capacity ,when is hot and sunny,you both need to check the temps,and post them.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    Best suggestion for ... the "aledged" hijacker
    Foul mouthed poster is more like it. The hi-jacking was one thing. And it was so with my help. But when someone crosses the line of common decency when there was no justification (and remains unrepentant) for doing so then they deserve no help.

Post Likes
    Well he hasn't been convicted ,yet!

Don't get too upset,"aledged" was just a little humor,or so I thought.

Post Likes
    Well he has been convicted of this:
    Originally posted by hotinthesouth
    If it bothers you that much there is always the homo****** forum you can go to or anything else that might interest you.
    Yeah, yeah. I know too well that that's just normal everyday talk for a lot of people. But it isn't for me or this forum. I tend to get a little annoyed when I see such things.

But yeah. The alleged hijacker thing... funny. (Don't quit your day job. )

[Edited by Irascible on 07-06-2005 at 06:05 PM]

Post Likes
    Okay,now we can add aledged "homophobe"!!LOL

Post Likes
    Yes.External shading is better than internal or none at all.
    Yes it makes sense that external shading is better, keeps heat out in first place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in